Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some time back about things people did with their aluminum cans. While I'm not a beer drinker, I do enjoy a diet or 4 while floating (I know, I'm crazy like that). Someone said they had saved them up and on the last day smelted them down and made Sand Cast Christmas Ornaments one time. It sounded like an awesome idea but I wondered how they did it exactly as they were out on the river. It sounds like a great way to end a lazy river run. Anyone ever done it and would you like to share how it was done logistically?
The sand casting seems pretty straight forward, I think I would just level the sand and bring forms to make the impressions in the leveled sand. It's the melting down of the metal on the riverside that I'm interested in. I'm guessing it's a propane setup, but having only done a little, very bad welding, I'd like some tutoring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We smelted some aluminum cans using a wood fire: we used a raft pump as a bellows, then made an extension for the pump hose out of some tin cans so the pump hose wouldn't melt. Used some flat rocks to channel the molten aluminum. Worked great, but there's not much aluminum in a can, so I would use more cans the next time. I think we melted 3 cans and got a thumb sized chunk of metal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts