Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure the 9-10' rafts should be fine without a trailer, but what about a 12'? Is it small enough to be able role and transport it inside a big car/SUV? I know rolling them isn't exactly recommended, but we do not have a place to store a trailer or a vehicle to tow one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I roll my 13.5 ft Urethane boat and put it in the back of vehicles all the time. No issues.

Rolling a boat isn't a big deal unless you are going to keep it that way for a prolonged period of time - or otherwise put it in circumstances that it wasn't made for.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I think a lot of folks fail to suck the air out before they try to roll a boat. I've got a Sotar cat and a Zephyr- and folks say you can't roll either one. I've gotten them into the original case/box each time I've tried without any problems. I can understand not leaving them in that state for, say, a winter....but to roll for the trip to the river doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I don't like the feel of a hypalon boat on the river, so for me the trade off in ease of folding is a non-issue. I didn't buy my boat to put it in a closet. They both roll just fine when necessary.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I roll and pickup truck a 14' vanguard PVC raft. I load it on an extra wide furniture dolly and have a pully system to pull it up a couple of old motorcycle ramps. It took awhile to sort all that out and make it work, but now I handle a +150lb raft solo, and mostly onehanded. I don't have extra license plate expense, no extra trailer insurance, bearings never fail at Westwater, etc, and overnight on the road it's locked up inside a pickup shell. After the first time I got it up the ramps with the pully, I stopped looking at trailers. Avoiding that expense makes pretty much all other toys look cheap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I worked at a raft rental company for years and saw hundreds of trips go without a trailer. We used to put 2-16' rafts with boxes, frames, and oars in, (and on), a single truck easy.

My new rig is a 16' raft and I pack it into a short-bed truck with cooler, dry box, and gear for 4 with room for beer and a dog.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My 14ft Hyside (Hypalon) will roll up to fit in the backseat of my Subaru Legacy SEDAN, even though getting it in or out isn't exactly simple.

My 14ft NRS Revo (Urethane) and frame usually rides on a cargo carrier on the back hitch. Even though this boat is about 2xs the size of the hyside rolled-it'll fit into the back hatch of most SUVs (I say "most", but I have been able to get it in all I have tried so far).

I really like usuing my cargo carrier, makes it super easy to load/unload and doesn't matter if the boat is soaking wet and muddy. I also allows easier access than a trailer to some of the "less maintained" rural boat launches I use too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.