Mountain Buzz banner

What should I do to train for a class 5 river this coming fall?

13K views 56 replies 33 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
Really want to go down the Tallulah Gorge in the northeast corner of Georgia. I have a good 2 years under my belt, practically lived on a class 2 river last summer. I've managed many class 3 rapids with no difficulty, but I'm looking at buying an actual whitewater boat.

Besides getting used to the new boat, what should I do to better prepare myself for a much more exciting river without jumping off the deep end and crossing my fingers?

#6 ·
The Tallulah is extremely committing, and the F-up factor is huge. I helped extract a woman from there with four broken bones in her legs :( Go paddle the Chattooga and Ocoee about 50 times each, then maybe Tallulah! It's not worth ruining others paddlers days by being "that guy".

#10 ·
I was going to say the same thing. It's only the new boaters who ask the question. I was way over confident....right up until I had my ass handed to me a couple times. But that's a good thing because you learn respect for the river. Work on hard moves on easier rivers. While that may sound stupid, it'll click when you need it to. Don't let your ego get you hurt....and I mean no offense just giving you a fair perspective.

#11 ·
I don't think they run commercial trips on the Tallulah.

Anyway, sorry for my sarcastic "shaft float" response. You have gotten some good replies. If you are close to the Ocoee get some good instruction on it and run the shit out of it. And as others have said try to find a good crew to boat with. With the amazing amount of whitewater in your area there is no need to rush into the Tallulah. It will always be there later.

#21 ·
And as others have said try to find a good crew to boat with.
I dont have a "crew" lol
the only people I know who paddle live 50 miles away and live on the same river I did, the Cartecay.

They are more like long lost friends, who have full time jobs and wives and kids.

I joined this site last night to find other people who were serious about paddling

#12 ·
paddle a LOT.
right now it sounds like you are a class II to III paddler.
Do more III's and then go for some IV-
never forget it is a progression not a jump.

the other thing a recommend is build a solid crew that knows you and your abilities as well as you knowing them and theirs. Never underestimate the importance of the crew you paddle with and are a part of.

#13 ·
if your a SOLID class 3 boater, you need to also have-bombproof combat roll from both sides, excellent low and high brace, the ability to change direction and eddy out on a dime, great river reading skills, and above all else the ability to stay calm and apply those skills in a unforgiving and violent enviroment. class 5 isnt a joke, i paddle it all and 3 to me is a snooze fest. the difference from 3 to 5 is massive. a mistake in a class 3 is easily fixed, a roll , a bruise, maybe at worst a swim. a mistake or a missed line in 5 can cost you your life. progress from class to class and master each one. 10 rolls in a class 4 dosent mean you did it- no rolls means you did. paddle with boaters better than you and learn everything you can. have fun !!

#15 ·
You might be able to reach your goal of paddling the Tallulah Gorge in time for the November releases this year. You will have to get a lot of days on the water though. You have plenty of time to hit easier whitewater and progress slowly through the spring and summer. Hit your class II runs a lot until you make them class III, then once you get comfortable on III start making harder moves making it III+ then start dabbling in some IV and so on. Move up to the next step once you feel solid on the sections of river you are running at the time. If you scare yourself or you have an issue take a step back for a couple days/weeks and work on what you were screwing up on easier less demanding water. Hook up with a crew that might have the same goals and start working towards them together. Stay safe. You will know when you are ready to take the next step. And remember using you brain is the best piece of safety gear you have on you!

Edit: also if you don't feel comfortable to jump on that run this season, there is always next. I portaged a drop on a run here 30 times at least over the past two years until I felt comfortable to run it.

#35 ·
Can't emphasize that thread enough. OP, read it from start to finish.

The move from class IV to Class V is move of the mind.....if you're good and confident in Class IV you probably have the skills. What you need for class V is commitment, confidence, flexibility, adaptability, and most of all total focus. The most important thing is to be able to look at a drop and accurately evaluate what it's going to take to get through the drop and be willing to put your boat on your shoulder and take a walk.

That makes sense if you're giving advice to a Class IV boater.

No offense to the OP, but it won't be relevant to the OP's II/III frame of reference.

I joined this site last night to find other people who were serious about paddling
X3 on the BoaterTalk suggestion. Not that anyone is trying to give you the brush-off. Both these forums are somewhat "regional". BT has a heavier emphasis and more participation from members on SE rivers. The Buzz has a heavier emphasis on Western rivers.

Definitely find a crew...find some people who have similar (or slightly better) skills than you who want to run some III and play in some III and find some new challenges. Grow together.

You risk flaming, but many of my favorite boating friends and mentors came either directly or indirectly from internet forums and plenty of flaming came with it. I knew no one who wanted to boat the rivers that I did, and it took some time to meet people that were if similar mindset.
I was lucky and found a lot of people who wanted to run the MF Flathead (III-) when I did. Recently, I've been lucky to find people on here to boat with in their local areas.

Also, willing to just introduce yourself to people at put ins and take outs. That is the fastest way to meet the local crew with local knowledge.
Absolutely. Bring beer and chips to share.

One time when I was a newb, my then- 2yo daughter left the freezer door open when she was getting a blue ice to put on a boo-boo. We had 30-40lbs of meat that thawed. My wife and I spent an entire morning roasting and dehydrating and BBQ'ing what we could so it wouldn't go to waste. I met a lot of people that afternoon when I showed up at the takeout with 10# of sirloin steaks and margarita fixins. 9 years later people still laugh about that day.

#17 ·
Lots of good advice here. I'll add three things:
1. People talk about seasons or years on the river. What's more important is days on the river. If guy A paddles 10 days a year for 10 years he has 100 days. If guy B paddles 100 days a year for ten years he has 1,000 days. Who do you think is going to be the better paddler? If you want to make the move to class V in a year - focus on the number of days you get on the river.
2. Quality. There is a big difference between just running a section and practicing critical skills throughout a day on the river. While running the same section you could say hit ten eddies and avoid surfing all day. Or you could hit 100 eddies (including tiny hard to catch ones) and surf every chance you get. You could do 0 practice rolls, or you could practice both onside and offside rolls and braces. You can practice river wide ferries, throw bagging, setting up a z-drag, etc. You get a lot more out of quality practice while on the river than just running it.
3. Variety. Running as many different rivers as you can fit into your schedule will also help a lot. Every rapid is different, rivers have different characteristics, and challenging yourself on incrementally harder rivers will help you progress faster.

#18 ·
The move from class IV to Class V is move of the mind.....if you're good and confident in Class IV you probably have the skills. What you need for class V is commitment, confidence, flexibility, adaptability, and most of all total focus. The most important thing is to be able to look at a drop and accurately evaluate what it's going to take to get through the drop and be willing to put your boat on your shoulder and take a walk.

#19 ·
Yo shred, living on a class 2 implies that you were able to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sitting on your spray deck while you were boating..... Class 4-5 means you're not necessarily hungry at the moment....class five means you ate yesterday.... Do good and try hard on whatever "CLASS" you find yourself in.... Like somebody said, don't be that guy.... But we've all been that guy before.....Milozadik wishecouldski 420 CB

#22 ·
My "crew" live 11/2-2hrs away. We make plans to meet and ride together or we may meet at the put in. There are tons of good boaters on these rivers that go out consistently. That really is key when trying to push yourself. Get on local or regional forums...meet people....ask questions. The only problem for you I could see is some of these people can't spend more than a day or two on the water at a time which holds you back a little.

#23 ·
So...you don't have an actual whitewater boat yet but want to run the Tallulah. Interesting.
I'd start posting on BoaterTalk. But prepare to get flamed. Its just how these things work...
If you are serious and not trolling you will find paddlers near you on BT willing to help you out. But once you get a WW boat you will need a year or two running class II-IV before jumping on anything like the Tallulah.
The Ocoee in the summer will be your friend. Be patient, enjoy yourself.

BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk

#24 ·
Hey buds I would say don't worry about class. Worry bout fun! If you ain't having fun why do it. Start small find a nice couple surf feature and learn simple understanding and respect for the river than work up boss. Having a positive attitude is a great way to meet boaters on the river and number three you gotta go and be there if you really want it I am from Wyoming crews can be tight or you can have the entire community as your crew I prefer the options.. Lastly get a whitewater rescue certification to help save your buds life aswell your own.. Have fun come to montana and we will do some boating man. Sounds like you found your sport if you be asking questions just remember like a river most progress and don't have giant waterfalls so take it slow enjoy the eddies and make some fun moves.

#28 ·
Really want to go down the Tallulah Gorge in the northeast corner of Georgia. I have a good 2 years under my belt, practically lived on a class 2 river last summer. I've managed many class 3 rapids with no difficulty, but I'm looking at buying an actual whitewater boat.

Besides getting used to the new boat, what should I do to better prepare myself for a much more exciting river without jumping off the deep end and crossing my fingers?
Everything that everyone here has suggested. Stop chasing grades of river. Just have fun on the water. If you can nail every intended line on a grade/class 3+ without swims, try to nail class 4. Then class 4+ (there's a big difference between 4 and 4+, and then another big jump to 5).

Personally I don't really have 5's on my list because I got into kayaking to have fun, not to prove a point. I also have family to think about. Some people love the adrenaline rush. For me I do kayaking because I enjoy the river environment no matter what the grade of river, and I enjoy the banter and company of friends. The grade of river is secondary for me. I've done 4's and I know that even attempting a 5 is waaaaaaaaay off even if that was my aim.

My ultimate question to you would be, what's the hurry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.