Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What river surfer should I buy? I have been looking at Hala, Badfish, and Glide. I like the price of the IRS from badfish, and the Peno is also an iSUP. I would like to stick in the 6.5'-7' range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What river surfer should I buy? I have been looking at Hala, Badfish, and Glide. I like the price of the IRS from badfish, and the Peno is also an iSUP. I would like to stick in the 6.5'-7' range.
That's a loaded question. Hard to say without knowing your build, skill level, places you'll normally be paddling, etc.

For a pretty good and non-fragile board I'd check into the MVP-S with sharkskin or the glide sesh. I got a chance to ride ben's IRS last week. I can see that being a front runner for inflatables in my opinion.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a loaded question. Hard to say without knowing your build, skill level, places you'll normally be paddling, etc.

For a pretty good and non-fragile board I'd check into the MVP-S with sharkskin or the glide sesh. I got a chance to ride ben's IRS last week. I can see that being a front runner for inflatables in my opinion.
Kinda knew that was the next question. I weigh 200lbs, and run class 3 whitewater on Yampa and Colorado (State Bridge Area) usually. Not many people comment in the SUP section.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

What do you think of Cobra?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Since you already have a downriver board, I'd go for a strictly river surfing specific board. The Glide Sesh, Badfish 7'6" MVP-S and the Badfish IRS are good options.

The IRS is the cheapest and most durable. I think it will surf most waves (based on 4 sessions of experience). If you really get into river surfing, you'll probably want a different (more advanced) board by next season. It's a great entry level board.

The MVP-S is the most expensive and least durable. It will surf almost any wave/hole you can find, and is the easiest to learn on. As a beginner board you might end up destroying it by the end of your first season... even with shark skin. That said, it's a great board to keep in your quiver and you'll end up using it for years to come since it can surf almost anything. It also might be the best match for your weight.

The Glide Sesh is super durable (only two dings after three years of hard use), and a little less expensive than the MVP-S. It's not as easy to learn on, but can be more fun to surf as you progress than the MVP-S.

Here's a couple of my reviews:

SUP for the Soul Review: Badfish MVP-S SUP - SUP for the Soul
SUP for the Soul Review: Glide Sesh - SUP for the Soul

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you already have a downriver board, I'd go for a strictly river surfing specific board. The Glide Sesh, Badfish 7'6" MVP-S and the Badfish IRS are good options.

The IRS is the cheapest and most durable. I think it will surf most waves (based on 4 sessions of experience). If you really get into river surfing, you'll probably want a different (more advanced) board by next season. It's a great entry level board.

The MVP-S is the most expensive and least durable. It will surf almost any wave/hole you can find, and is the easiest to learn on. As a beginner board you might end up destroying it by the end of your first season... even with shark skin. That said, it's a great board to keep in your quiver and you'll end up using it for years to come since it can surf almost anything. It also might be the best match for your weight.

The Glide Sesh is super durable (only two dings after three years of hard use), and a little less expensive than the MVP-S. It's not as easy to learn on, but can be more fun to surf as you progress than the MVP-S.

Here's a couple of my reviews:

SUP for the Soul Review: Badfish MVP-S SUP - SUP for the Soul
SUP for the Soul Review: Glide Sesh - SUP for the Soul

Thanks Ben, I read your reviews early today. Your site is usually my go to for boards. What do you think of IRS compared to Peno?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Ben, I read your reviews early today. Your site is usually my go to for boards. What do you think of IRS compared to Peno?
Peno is better if you want to be able to paddle down river at all. If you're good enough, you can run some fun stuff on it... and surf every hole on the way down.

The IRS would be difficult to paddle down river unless you weigh less than 100 lbs. The IRS will usually surf better than the Peno though.

The IRS is much cheaper than the Peno, but the build quality of the Peno is much higher.

Price, durability, and ease of surfing makes the IRS a good choice for an entry level river surf board. Since you already have a Street Fighter, I think you wouldn't paddle the Peno down river much. Although, paddling the Peno on easy sections (like Rancho to State Bridge) might be much more entertaining for you than the Street Fighter.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peno is better if you want to be able to paddle down river at all. If you're good enough, you can run some fun stuff on it... and surf every hole on the way down.

The IRS would be difficult to paddle down river unless you weigh less than 100 lbs. The IRS will usually surf better than the Peno though.

The IRS is much cheaper than the Peno, but the build quality of the Peno is much higher.

Price, durability, and ease of surfing makes the IRS a good choice for an entry level river surf board. Since you already have a Street Fighter, I think you wouldn't paddle the Peno down river much. Although, paddling the Peno on easy sections (like Rancho to State Bridge) might be much more entertaining for you than the Street Fighter.
Yeah I think I want a strictly only surf sup, been keeping an eye out of a used one, but hardly anything out there.

Streetfighter does best in bigger holes, large wave trains, etc. Lower water it does well, but it likes more water to really have fun. I use to own the Atcha, loved it, so def want to try out the peno. Not sure I want something that long for surf. Surfed some on atcha and it was too long for small stuff around me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're ever on the front range or if you're going to Golden Games/Paddlefest/Animas River Days, you're welcome to try surfing my quiver. Surfing different boards side by side is the best way to compare.
Keep you posted, I tend to head that way for work every few months.

How would you compare MVP-S to Cobra and 6'6" River Surfer? Any Starboards you would recommend?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Keep you posted, I tend to head that way for work every few months.

How would you compare MVP-S to Cobra and 6'6" River Surfer? Any Starboards you would recommend?
I don't have much surf time on the Cobra, but my impression is that the Cobra is almost as easy to surf as the MVP-S but in a lower volume/smaller package. The MVP-S I can paddle down river (I weigh 155lbs), the Cobra doesn't feel stable enough for any real down river paddling.

The 6'11" River Surfer is not a board I would recommend as a first board... too difficult to paddle and too fragile.

Starboard doesn't offer anything that'll surf well on anything except awesome river waves (Glenwood/Big Sur/Pueblo/etc) and their boards aren't what I'd consider beginner or entry level boards.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have much surf time on the Cobra, but my impression is that the Cobra is almost as easy to surf as the MVP-S but in a lower volume/smaller package. The MVP-S I can paddle down river (I weigh 155lbs), the Cobra doesn't feel stable enough for any real down river paddling.

The 6'11" River Surfer is not a board I would recommend as a first board... too difficult to paddle and too fragile.

Starboard doesn't offer anything that'll surf well on anything except awesome river waves (Glenwood/Big Sur/Pueblo/etc) and their boards aren't what I'd consider beginner or entry level boards.

Thanks! I will look into MVP-S more. Would my weight be too much for the IRS?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The IRS might be a bit unstable for you. I would definitely recommend paddling one before buying.
I will try to meet up with you one day and try yours out. I like iSUP for toughness. I am a newb with surf, so like you said above, will prob destroy a hard board. I would go with Hala, but Peno seems too long, how do you like length? I want something I can surf any wave with and not limited to bigger ones like Glenwood.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The performance of the inflatables for river surfing is not comparable to a hard board, especially on lower volume waves.

I am 6' 190. I have the MVP and love it for low volume waves and getting new spots figured out. It is fun but not quite like the river surfer for the perfect spots like BV, Salida and Glenwood. I have at least 400 surf days on my MVP and it shows. I do some epoxy repairs every couple of months, but I am not to worried if it takes on a little water. It is already a heavy board and surfs great loaded.

I also have a smaller board for bigger features. Living in Steamboat you are going to get a smaller board soon. If you get out a few times a week, maybe even this summer depending on how good the Gore wave turns out.

I would get the Cobra if looking at 1 board purchase this summer and deal with a little harder learning curve or get 2 boards:MVP if wanting to share board with wife and float pumphouse some and buy another board to rock it in the surf when your skills improve.

I think the glide sesh would be a difficult 1st board at your size.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The performance of the inflatables for river surfing is not comparable to a hard board, especially on lower volume waves.

I am 6' 190. I have the MVP and love it for low volume waves and getting new spots figured out. It is fun but not quite like the river surfer for the perfect spots like BV, Salida and Glenwood. I have at least 400 surf days on my MVP and it shows. I do some epoxy repairs every couple of months, but I am not to worried if it takes on a little water. It is already a heavy board and surfs great loaded.

I also have a smaller board for bigger features. Living in Steamboat you are going to get a smaller board soon. If you get out a few times a week, maybe even this summer depending on how good the Gore wave turns out.

I would get the Cobra if looking at 1 board purchase this summer and deal with a little harder learning curve or get 2 boards:MVP if wanting to share board with wife and float pumphouse some and buy another board to rock it in the surf when your skills improve.

I think the glide sesh would be a difficult 1st board at your size.
Cobra looks fun, just might be out of my price range right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cobra looks fun, just might be out of my price range right now.
The Cobra is a blast to surf. I've found very few things it can't surf, but that's just so far this season. I'd say in order of durability and ease of use I would say MVP, Cobra, RiverSurfer. That's taking into account the carbon cobra otherwise the cobra and new RS's have the same construction and should be similar in durability.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Cobra is a blast to surf. I've found very few things it can't surf, but that's just so far this season. I'd say in order of durability and ease of use I would say MVP, Cobra, RiverSurfer. That's taking into account the carbon cobra otherwise the cobra and new RS's have the same construction and should be similar in durability.
I talked to Peter from Hala and he is going to let me try out the peno. Def want to try everything before I buy. Cobra is def top of list I think.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts