Mountain Buzz banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I would encourage you to get a prescription from your doctor for Fluconazole to take in your medical kit. Last year on a Grand Canyon trip seven out of sixteen of us got Tolio and mine was by far the worst case. Tolio is a trench foot-like foot fungus. It started on day 6 and I could barely walk for the remainder of the trip. This year I took a prescription of Fluconazole with me on my Grand Canyon trip and on day 12 when the symptoms started, I took a 150 mg tablet and it started improving the next day and cleared up. As a side note, I put on anti-fungal cream every night on both trips beginning on day one.
I heard of several trips having tolio.

Considering the 7 out of 16 people who got infected, was there a common denominator? For example, can you please tell me what type of shoes you wore? What month of the year was it? Etc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Having returned from and awesome December trip I thought I would weigh back in with my experiences.

Stuff I wish I had brought (or at least been more prepared with).

A "Daytripper" box: I haven't had time to read back through the regs, but I don't remember it. The (very very strict) ranger who did our check in wanted to see an undisclosed number of wag bags and supplies for hikes, preferably in a "daytripper" kit. We scrambled to find enough...he never did tell us how many we needed. Thanks to Gordon from Nebraska for bailing us out by lending us some of his supplies.

waterproof socks: There were days I didn't want to wear my drysuit and neoprene socks didn't cut it in the temps we had. Wearing splash gear on days without big water would have been a lot more pleasant with dry feet.

a better waterproof camera: I was solo in my boat, so getting the DSLR out while on the water wasn't something I wanted to do, and my gopro doesn't take great stills.

more warm hats: they get wet and my poor bald head gets cold.

more liquor, less beer: cocktails were much preferred over beer, at least on this trip.

a better gopro mount system: Helmet mounted gopro's make even grand canyon rapids look flat, videos I made just don't do them justice.

less of almost everything else. I (we) had too much food. I had too much extra cloths (especially layers and outerwear), we took 5 full sized tanks of propane and finished 1 and used part of 2 more.

my fucking knee braces: missed a couple of great hikes cause my oft-repaired knees got sick of carrying my fat ass up (and especially down) steep rocky trails.

better cold-weather rowing gloves: nothing to add to that

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
As for stuff that was super cool to have (some kind of unexpectedly)

the book - There's This River... Grand Canyon Boatman Stories
https://www.amazon.com/Theres-River-Canyon-Boatman-Stories/dp/0977698300 read a story from this out loud every night (almost) super-cool

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-N...-Formulated-Fragrance-Free/dp/B005CPZFWQ?th=1 worked better, at least for me, than bag-balm

The TL had a garmin inreach with text plan. It allowed our friends and family to follow our progress on a website, and send us texts, and receive them from us. Super cool. Was a lot more convenient than that Sat phone, which was pretty spotty.

lots of battery and/or solar powered lanterns. It got dark early and the sun rose late.

selection of climbing quick-draws. Made clipping boats together at tight landings way easier.

good crew: Spending 22 days together can be tough, having a great bunch of friends there sure helped.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
61 - 67 of 67 Posts