Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like I'm going to be floating Desolation and Grey's Canyons in mid September. We're going to go very lightweight as if we were backpacking and will be floating inflatable kayaks. What kind of clothing do you think I'll need? I was recommended to get a 4mm or so wetsuit. Long-sleeve? Sleeveless? MM? Splash jacket? Footwear? Thoughts?

(I am pretty amateur with a couple of Labyrinth canoe trips under my belt and some Animas rafting and canoeing around Durango.)

·
Registered
158 Posts
It looks like I'm going to be floating Desolation and Grey's Canyons in mid September. We're going to go very lightweight as if we were backpacking and will be floating inflatable kayaks. What kind of clothing do you think I'll need? I was recommended to get a 4mm or so wetsuit. Long-sleeve? Sleeveless? MM? Splash jacket? Footwear? Thoughts?

(I am pretty amateur with a couple of Labyrinth canoe trips under my belt and some Animas rafting and canoeing around Durango.)
Did it that time a few years ago and it was hot as hell. I'd use caution and be ready for anything though. Long johns and some extra fleece doesn't take up that much space.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
September on Deso can vary widely in temps. depending of whether you are going in early September or late. I'd bring layers for all temps. Could be shorts & polypro T-shirt, or Smartwool and splash pants/jacket. Wet suit shorts for early Sept. and maybe a full suit for late Sept. If you are a rookie, you might swim more, so maybe err on the side of warmth?

My outfit of choice for September Middle Fork trips is Smartwool, and splash wear if it's cool, and polypro layers if it's warm.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
I am wondering about this too. Launching Sept. 10th on a kayak self support and not sure if I should bring dry gear or just a shorty top and a rain jacket. From everything I've seen its class 2 at low water so I'm not too concerned about flipping or big waves. Thinking 1 pair of board shorts with a t shirt and one layering system, thick base layer with Marmot rain suit....

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've been on two different Green River/September trips in the last 5 years where rainfall doubled the flow on the gauge at GreenRiver town within an hour. The rain that flooded Longmont last September hit hard in Utah before it hit Colo. I would anticipate 'variable' conditions. I would definitely do a very good job of setting up an anchor at night.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts