Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting the final touches on a Grand itinerary for this March.

So what is your favorite Grand Camp site??? Why???

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ok, I'll play nice, I love Ledges, Upper ledges is nice too. It gives you a nice setup to hike Havasu the next day.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Day 1 Lee's Ferry: (private trip to commercial TL) Hey where you planning to camp tonight?
(Commercial TL to private) Bass Camp!

*don't mean to rattle anyone's cage, I've just heard it has happened...not my program... Privates are awesome! As long as they camp where they say, and do not split their trip to grab good camps. (it happens alot)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think all the camps can be good camps. Especially ones that I haven't been to yet. I am going with a group early March, so maybe see you there!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mmmmm . . . the makings of an unecessary controversy here . . .

ALL camps in the Grand Canyon are good. That's the way you should approach it. I.e., with an OPEN MIND, launch at Lee's Ferry and, while there, ask around about who plans to camp where, giving due regard to commercial guides who are ON A SCHEDULE (there is no reason for animosity between private and commercial as to camps, and most commercial guides are also private boaters) and, as you travel down river, TAKE IN THE WONDER AND AWESOMENESS OF THE PLACE and wherever you camp each night, IT WILL BE THE BEST. My point? If you put too many expectations on the trip and too much emphasis on a "this is my camp" attitude, you will surely miss out! Go with the flow! It is GEORGIOUS EVERYWHERE down there!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah BCJ, You get it! Sensory candy is EVERYWHERE down there. Camps are bigger or smaller, have hikes or don't, but they are all great! Just enjoy the trip! I find new cool stuff on every trip! Most of them are not attraction sights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For what it's worth, my favorites (hard to pick just one) are: South Canyon, Bass, Blacktail, Upper Ledges and Tuckup. Pretty sure anywhere you camp is gonna rock.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Across From Deer Creek. View of the falls from camp and you can ferry back and forth for hikes to Deer Creek.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Across From Deer Creek. View of the falls from camp and you can ferry back and forth for hikes to Deer Creek.
I second this. I had this camp entirely to myself for 8 hours last year while our group was hiking. It was AMAZING! Maybe the best view from a camp in the Canyon. Plan on getting there early and being disappointed, however. It's a popular camp.

For small groups I really like Little Red Wall and the upper Lower Bass camp.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Favorite? One? That's hard to choose.

Lees ferry boater's camp first came to mind because that means a trip is starting.

I'd go with South. Lots of room and a ton of walking choices, short and far. Good layover camp, too. Still space for a second trip to come in and be away from each other, and nice to sit around and relax after the fuss of driving to the Ferry, rigging, figuring how the group is interacting, etc.

·
Registered
448 Posts
grapevine is pretty sweet, right between the two rapids. I also liked olo myself. I do agree that you should catch as catch can. We didn't have much of a plan, and even though it may have pissed off the other groups when they asked us, we just decided to take whatever camp suited us this time (if another group had a plan we let them go for it) I liked not knowing what to expect, made for fun exploring.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good point. Many times groups I'm with will have a time in mind for camp, rather than a specific place. There is a nice walk at almost every camp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My favorite camps are 'favorites' because of great memories I have of that camp. Having been a commercial guide for so long down in the canyon, when I go on private trips I like to try and find camps that I have never stayed at before. On our private trip this last summer, of the 15 camps, 7 I had never camped at before, 2 I had only camped there once before, 2 it had been over 30 years since I camp there and only 4 were common camps for me. We had a good time every night. Some of the camps were literally new because the constant 25k this summer had created them and our trip spanned into Sept. when the water dropped to 16k.
If I was to choose my two favorite camps they would be Deer Creek, and Shinumo Creek. We would go to the falls and shower at night, it was great. Now you can't camp at either camp and the camps/sandy beaches are gone. I do feel bad about using soap in the sidestreams back then, but what did we know then, and there were no regulations.
Now my favorite camps are anywhere that we can set up the kitchen close to the boats and also have a spot to set up a circle of chairs for the evening.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Now my favorite camps are anywhere that we can set up the kitchen close to the boats and also have a spot to set up a circle of chairs for the evening.

this is a great way to approach finding a good camp!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts