Mountain Buzz banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
We saw a couple of cast-iron stoves (not near each other) in the late 70s, sawed in half, along the Yukon between Dawson Creek and Eagle. Apparently from gold rush prospectors some 70-75 years earlier, two partners would get in a fight and decide to go their separate ways. Neither would give up his half of the stove. And this after having carried it up that incredible trail out of Skagway, etc., etc. Fascinating!

·
Registered
4 Posts
May 2006 at Westwater I saw a "raft" made of Styrofoam try to float past the rangers. Great setup with large pieces of Styrofoam duck taped together. They had their dog with them and water in gallon jugs for the long trip to Mexico. First time I ever saw a Bimini on the river. It was made of PVC jammed into the Styrofoam with a blue plastic tarp over the top. Paddling with a shovel handle with a snow shovel bottom screwed into it. Needles to say the rangers did not let them continue their journey. I talked to one of the rangers a couple of years ago and he said the Styro-Craft is a legend. There is supposed to be a picture of it posted online, but I have not been able to find it.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
May 2006 at Westwater I saw a "raft" made of Styrofoam try to float past the rangers. Great setup with large pieces of Styrofoam duck taped together. They had their dog with them and water in gallon jugs for the long trip to Mexico. First time I ever saw a Bimini on the river. It was made of PVC jammed into the Styrofoam with a blue plastic tarp over the top. Paddling with a shovel handle with a snow shovel bottom screwed into it. Needles to say the rangers did not let them continue their journey. I talked to one of the rangers a couple of years ago and he said the Styro-Craft is a legend. There is supposed to be a picture of it posted online, but I have not been able to find it.
You talking about this ?

We joked at the time that it was Alvin's new patrol boat..

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Rich P took that photo, IIRC the flow was in the teens.. Would have turned life threatening in a hurry, and then there'd have to be a rescue..

·
Registered
4 Posts
You talking about this ? View attachment 67024

We joked at the time that it was Alvin's new patrol boat..
Thank you so much. I tell the story all the time and over time it just seemed like I was crazy. We were camping there, so I walked down to hear the discussion with the rangers. Those people were so "stoned" you could hardly communicate with them. A younger ranger came out at first and was "kind of" helping them understand how they could a ride around Westwater to put-in at Cisco. An older ranger came out, took one look, and said "Hell No".

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
You're most welcome.
The older ranger was Alvin Halliday, he was there for 22 years, the younger ranger was likely Kyler Carpenter if memory serves, I'm getting old and remembering things almost 20 years ago, well...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cougars, toads, rattlesnakes, bare butts… yep, seen em.

Circa 1995. Not South or Central America. Arkansas river, Colorado. Due to epic high water I was leading a typically super tame section, thinking Rincon was the takeout. Fun and fast because of the high water. 6 boats in our trip, takeout ramp eddy was small and a couple of guides missed it and kept floating down and fast.

I jumped out of my boat and start blazing trail downstream running the shoreline. Think Willem Dafoe in Platoon running through the jungle before he is betrayed. Jumping over fallen cottonwoods, whacking through salt cedar, dashing hard. As I near a corner and jump over a log, there it stands – screaming, wailing, and flailing its arms and legs – a hairy 3-foot-tall creature the likes I’ve never seen, except on national geographic. A spider monkey!

IMG_5781.JPG

Like the death of Sergeant Elias, my hope of saving guides vanished, on my knees and looking to the heavens for a miracle. Up the bank, 20 yards away and from their RV, the “owners” laughed at the scene of the young kid terrified and shocked out of his mind. Needless to say, I had to change my pants back at the shop. It was a story that overshadowed the best of flips that high-water year.

The pic is not documentary evidence, but demonstrative.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts