Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in a disagreement with someone about how much kids should pay for a trip? Do most trips charge them full price, or do kids go for a partial share of the total cost? I usually count kids as half shares, excluding any per person fees or permits.

Just curious what everyone else does?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Kids

I am currently in a disagreement with someone about how much kids should pay for a trip? Do most trips charge them full price, or do kids go for a partial share of the total cost? I usually count kids as half shares, excluding any per person fees or permits.

Just curious what everyone else does?
I count most kids as not coming on the trip! Okay, for real, one person regardless of how little costs the same. Unless.....my girlfriend is small and doesn't eat much, so she should pay less... I like that plan!

(All things that may have offended you in this email were said with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well if I ever brought my kids along using your logic I'd have to pay a share and a half for the amount they eat!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked up several commercial trips, and I a seeing most give some discounts to kids. One company (on the Yampa) listed kids 10 and under were free with a paying adult, 11-12 were 1/2 price. Other companies I saw had a 25% discount for kids. But it looks like most give some sort of discount.

Boy, am I glad I have my own boat... commercial trips are expensive :)

Taking kids on a trip can be a great experience, depending on the trip and the kids. That being said, I didn't take them on my first GC trip. That just means I have to go again to take them :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
What we have done is subtract the per person alcohol cost for most teens ( they eat more than I do but shouldn't drink much!) and for the little kids we pro rate a cost based on age, our boy is 4 so we figure about 1/2 of a paying adult price. We also bring a lot of snacks separate from the trip food though. This seems to work and we have not had a a complaint from others.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We do all of our river trips with many children. Most of the groups that we travel with are families so it all balances out. When we do travel with a couple or single without kids we usually try to balance it out so that they are not paying the same amount as the families. We break or food expenses down by the meal(s) so that each boat has a certain number of meals to shop for and prepare. We would group some of the non-kid people together to do their share of the meals so that they ultimately pay less than boats with the kids in it. As for the exact breakdown, I couldn't give you a number. All alcohol is the responsibility of the individual and doesn't show up as a group expense.

My kids tend to eat more than I do on the river and they are girls age 5 and 7. They are also harder to shuttle because of the need for car seats and the fact that they can't drive. You might take that into account. They fill the groover just as fast as the adults.

Dan

·
Registered
85 Posts
We just put in a flat rate for the kids. $100 to $125. Usually about half or less. Everyone will need them to row them down the river eventually. Today I have the big load, soon it will be those kids. Besides, we now have three teens in our crew and put-ins, take outs, and cleanup takes half the time. They love crawling around on the rigs strapping, unstrapping, and rigging. Clean up takes a bit of encouragement. pay it forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We add all the costs (permit fees and food but NOT alcohol, propane, groover etc) together and then divide by the number of people. We have a BYOB policy that way people can share/not share choose what they have to drink. Coffee and drinks for breakfast we consider a group expense. We always eat well and rarely does the cost exceed $150/person. Shuttle/gas/diesel etc is an individual cost for us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We always consider kids the same cost. Everyone pays for their own alcohol to separate that out from those under age. Little kids tend to eat less at meals but snack more on specialty foods that the adults tend not to eat. Our group ranges from single digits to 70+ years of age. The 20 year olds eat the most followed by the teens. The older folks eat much less. I find it works out best to just divide the permit, food and group costs evenly and then everyone just helps themselves to whatever they want whenever they want. No one stresses this way. We have done it on a share basis by age or separate food and that always causes tension in the group. Fuel costs are split by occupants of the individual vehicle. If someone needs to bring a second vehicle to accommodate the shuttle, then that vehicle's fuel is split as a group fee.

Our core group has been together for a long time. I have paid for kids since they were little and are now teenagers. The twenty somethings have eaten more than their share for years and are now starting to marry and next they will be paying for their own kids. It all works out in the end.

Every group will have a different method for splitting the cost of the trip. Whatever works for your group is great. This system is what has worked best for us over the years. When someone new joins on our trip they are told ahead of time that this is how we do it and if splitting costs this way is not OK with them then they do not have to come along.

In the end we find that our average group costs run around $10/day/person. We eat extremely well on the river, much better than at home and it I figure it costs almost the same for expenses while at home. The cost of the booze is really the added cost of the trip over every day living expenses.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,443 Posts
as trip leader i have always done 12 and under 1/2 price. after that, they eat as much as anyone else. it is trip leader decision as far as i see it. i have done trips where the kids were left off of the dividing number of peeps as well as been on trips where kids paid full cost. I have always rolled with the punches but i have certainly seen some peeps get fired up over kid discounts. let the trip leader decide and run with it. you dont have to go on the trip and neither does anyone else. i think it is appropriate for the trip leader to mention their plan ahead of time instead of at the takeout, that way people can decide if they can/want to afford the trip whatever the decision may be.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
We do pretty much the same as BackCountry. We divide equally between everyone, including kids. The one time we did kids half price, it caused complaints. Kids might or might not eat as much, but little kids don't help as much with driving, rowing, gear hauling, cooking, and clean-up. It all balances out. We include all trip expenses....gas, food, propane, charcoal, kitchen staples, etc. in our costs. Coffee is a group expense, but all other beverages are individual cost. We also have a core group who knows how things work. We are very organized but not obsessive, eat very well, and like to relax on the river.
KJ

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Same here, Permit + Group Expense / how many spots on permit. Then every family picks up how many spots they want (kid or no kid). Never caused problems for me as a Trip Leader and everyone knows where they stand. Alcohol is BYOB, but we end up sharing at the end anyways. I usually go with friends and don't remember the last time this method cost any problems.

Having special accommodation for kids would seem a total headache to calculate the cost per spot and then I think it would raise concern with people who do not have kids.

Alex

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Having been on a lot of different trips with costs shared different ways, I think the bottom line is whatever the Trip Leader says (i.e. permit holder or self appointed organizer), goes. Only obvious rule is that the kids share never pays for alcohol.

On large trips with only a few kids, it's not much of an extra expense to not include the kids in food costs. On trips where half the group is kids, they get included as a full person. I personally think the 1/2 price option is a great way to do it until the kid starts eating as much as the adults (age 10-12 it seems).

Shuttle is again primarily up to the TL. If the number of kids ups the number of vehicles needed for shuttle, then I think it's fair to charge for it. But again, if there are only 2 kids and 20 people, it's easy to call it a wash.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Charging kids half

I usually ask people to bring cash, then to pay for food items as they consume them. For example, a slice of bacon is 54 cents, a weenie is 63 cents boiled, or a $1.08 if grilled. That way, if the kids eat less, they pay less. Condiments are generally free, except Salsa.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So a grilled bacon wrapped weenie, would only be $1.62? Mmm mmm sign me up :)

Hmm, might have to try that one...

I usually ask people to bring cash, then to pay for food items as they consume them. For example, a slice of bacon is 54 cents, a weenie is 63 cents boiled, or a $1.08 if grilled. That way, if the kids eat less, they pay less. Condiments are generally free, except Salsa.

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
We dont charge for the kids or for kids with special dietary needs. The parents always bring extra snacks and drinks. They eat food but not as much as the adults, which would wind up being leftovers. I take the payment in the parents whiskey.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Sounds like a well run hassle free trip.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We count everyone the same. Everyone buys their own beer. It is too hard to have different rates for kids, depending on age. Old folks eat less, but they spend more time on the groover. Teenage boys eat far more. Charge everyone the same.

I like swiftwater15's plan. How much do you charge for real maple syrup?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts