Mountain Buzz banner

What is your highest level of formal education?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all of this political and economic talk has been going around I have been wondering what everyones level of formal education is. This is curious to me because of all the people in my life my favorite person to talk to is my uncle who holds a HS diploma and is just amazingly well read. Anyways, I'm just curious and I feel like the average buzz member is very intelligent whether they have gone for higher learning or not.

I want to thank everyone who participates in the discussions because I really value the discourse that gets worked out on here and truly value debating with many of you.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Kevin - the discussions that take place in here are stimulating and informative. Where else can you learn about the rivers and mountains we all love... and rant about politics in the same place?

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Went to Cornell, ya ever heard of it? I graduated in 4 years, never studied once, I was drunk the whole time, and... I sang in the a cappella group Here Comes Treble.

·
Kayak/SUP Instructor
1,332 Posts
HS drop outs but no voting for college drop outs?

How about those of us (cough...cough..) who dropped out of HS but then attained a degree? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
16 Posts
KT, There's a lot more to people's opinions and ideals than their education. Life experience is usually much more informative and impactful than anything that one learns at the Bachelors level of education. My philosophies and positions on life, politics and society to name a few (and apparently quite different from yours) are based on an odd childhood, service in the military, jobs ranging from digging ditches and ranching cattle to consulting on energy usage and making documentary movies, the two business that I’ve successfully started and the dozens of trips I’ve made overseas. I can top it off with B.A.s in History and Geography and an M.A. in International Policy (with an emphasis on the environment), but these “measures of success” don’t have nearly the impact that my experiences have had. This life experience has led me to agree most often with a philosophy of compassion for my fellow man, a willingness to share what I have with those that have none, a concern for future generations (I’m talking 20+ generations down the line, not just my grandkids), an ability to make do with what I have, not what I can have, etc. Judging by the tone of many of your posts, I’m tempted to make the assumption that you find these attributes to be “failures of personality,” which is precisely the condescending and selfish attitude that I find so nasty about most conservative commentary. I do hope that this assumption would be false. Also, I wonder if you realize that your forcefully stated “absolutes” on finance and economics are the same or similar to those that we’ve (those of us with a bit more decrepitude in our weary bones) have heard before from the likes of Reagan and Bush the 1st (and from others before my time as well I’m sure). I applaud your obvious zeal and desire to learn more, and your willing participation in arguing your points, and encourage you to think critically and creatively outside the repeated exhortations of your professors and reading assignments as well as the noisy pundits on the Left and Right sides of economic theory. As an obviously intelligent member of the next level of decision makers, it’s up to you to find solutions and alternatives to the failed theories and policies of the past 50 years.

·
Registered
844 Posts
DU alumni myself, class of 93, School of Engineering.

There was no kayak club or ski team in my time. I was a officer of the Alpine Club, I wonder what they are up to now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DU alumni myself, class of 93, School of Engineering.

There was no kayak club or ski team in my time. I was a officer of the Alpine Club, I wonder what they are up to now.
They are still going strong. As far as I know we spun the kayak club off of the alpine club in I think 2002. Alpine Club has a budget of over 30k and several hundred students I believe.

Now Kevin, you don't get to count your degree until you get your paper, son....

:)
Don't remind me! Only a few classes left but who knows, still deciding between just working, or working and seeking an MBA or MSF part-time.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Well this poll isn't telling the whole story. I take a look through the eddy now and again, and its obvious that there are lots of folks who have gotten an online degree in Internet Douchebaggery. You might not be as proud of your online degree as the traditional degree, but don't hide it, you know who you are!

My college education has served me well, but its my informal boating education that I value the most. Over the years its been the equivalent of a B.S. in river running, with a minor in creeking, and a M.S. in takeout beer guzzling and shit talking.

I've been working steadily at my boating PhD. My thesis is entitled "Statistical Hydrologic Modeling of Classical Whitewater Rivers and Creeks". Its basically a PhD in gauge geek, lots more work to do. Also working on publishing my first article... "How to massively shirk personal responsibilities to go boating without getting fired, divorced, or incarcerated".

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,257 Posts
The only thing college really teaches you is where your puke threshold is.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The only thing college really teaches you is where your puke threshold is.
That is the case if you are a frat boy, Business, or Mrs. degree. Quite the opposite if you are in a science, or similar, curriculum. You just can't bull-shit your way through Organic chem. or Thermodynamics. Being able to play with an electron microscope was a bonus for me when I took X-ray diffraction. Not quite the typical college experience, but I still managed to ski 3 days a week and compete in a NCAA sport. :mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts