Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the most part, I would say rafters are some on the nicest, friendliest people on the planet. Since I started boating over 30 years ago I have made so many good friends through my probably close to 100 muti-day trips, plus many single day floats. I got my son into boating. He too says it is one of the best parts of his life.

I think you can get to know someone better by boating with them for 5 days on the river than knowing them for 5 years of city life.

When I first started rafting it was all about the rivers and the whitewater . Now it is way more about the people and of course the wilderness.

If you did a survey across America, I would say less than one in 10,000 are private boaters. We are a lucky few.

Time for another cocktail. God bless you buzzards.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cheers to that RG! Still got a space for you on 6/14 - DB's not THAT bad to boat with...

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
For the most part, I would say rafters are some on the nicest, friendliest people on the planet. Since I started boating over 30 years ago I have made so many good friends through my probably close to 100 muti-day trips, plus many single day floats. I got my son into boating. He too says it is one of the best parts of his life.

I think you can get to know someone better by boating with them for 5 days on the river than knowing them for 5 years of city life.

When I first started rafting it was all about the rivers and the whitewater . Now it is way more about the people and of course the wilderness.

If you did a survey across America, I would say less than one in 10,000 are private boaters. We are a lucky few.

Time for another cocktail. God bless you buzzards.
Well said!

My river time has shaped who I am and what I aspire to be.

One of the best experiences thus far in a decade of floating was just my wife and I on Deso last October. Sharing a week of floating, mellow whitewater, a great place and good food/wine was brilliant for us. Getting know Desolation Canyon year after year since 2005 has been wonderful. The subtle changes through the seasons and years is a great lesson in life.

Getting to know diverse people has been an asset. We do small groups but bond in a way you can't outside of shared outdoor experiences and goals. We are still opening up doors to new people and are excited to see what happens.

Thanks for a great reminder to be grateful! Happy Presidents Day everyone.

Phillip

·
Registered
362 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Here's to many safe and happy river days for all of you in 2015 and beyond.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Just getting in to it as Ive only had my boat past fall and this "winter"..... Have ALOT to look forward too. Thanks everyone for all the help through the Buzz. From buying my first boat, to indirectly teaching me about the sport, to just donating knowledge and learning from YOUR experiences. Hope to see some of you folks out on the riv.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i like the whitewater and pushing personal limits. also i love the people. i jumped on a grand canyon trip in october with 15 people i'd never meet. it was trying at times but in the end i love everyone i shared the experience with and hope to stay in touch with a lot of these cats in the future. great thread thanks

·
Beginner
2,484 Posts
Thank you for this post! I've been avoiding the "what pisses you off" thread because I just know it's full of hate and attitude. Thanks for the positivity!

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
To me it boils down to three things,

The access to remote and wild regions that relatively few get to see.

The connection with nature and the environment, as well as the unique perspective rivers provide on the world,

And last but not least the people and relationships forged.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree

Thank you for this post! I've been avoiding the "what pisses you off" thread because I just know it's full of hate and attitude. Thanks for the positivity!
You're right Randaddy. I really love my boating time. I'm a teacher, so I have summers off and try to go on lots of different boating adventures. Sometimes its hard to wrangle up partners, but despite this I've shown up at some rivers, met up with great folks, and got on the rio.

River time is the time to forget about work and stress- and just live in the moment and enjoy life among others who feel the same way.

Something pretty special about that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not me, I go for shitting in a box and sleeping on a plastic mat!!!

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Rivers are the only place I can smoke and and not get paranoid so that's pretty much why I like boating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Love that time in the evenings when the coal are blazing, with the backdrop of a river and boats secure for the night. Stories of the day or legends telling their myths filling your ears. When the lone little fireflies start dancing from boat to boat looking for their nectar of choice…

…and one of those poor little tinker-bells goes in the drink.

·
Jared
734 Posts
I love the chance to see places that hardly anyone ever sees. Not big places like the Grand Canyon, but places or even rivers nobody even knows exist. I love traveling to places off of the beaten path, shuttle roads like the confluence of the Bruneau and Jarbidge rivers.
I love the challenge of whitewater. I've never been a cutting edge boater. I have many miles under my belt, but I know many who dare to do much harder stuff than I would attempt. That's fine, the challenge I take on the river is mine and mine alone. I enjoy all class of river. I got bored with the John Day last spring, but the canyon it sets in is an amazing place full of history and wildlife. (I saw more sheep there than I have in my entire life this trip!) I wouldn't have changed a thing. The Rogue is an awesome place, and I am still debating whether I am ready to commit to an Illinois trip.
I have always been into 4x4's and Jeeps. We had 2 Jeeps we did trail rides in until we had my son almost 7 years ago. By his first year, both of them had been sold. I sold my IK's by his 2nd year. I took some time to decide which I wanted to do again when finances allowed. Even though I still want a Jeep again, I decided on getting a raft. WW is a much more eco friendly lifestyle, and the return on $500 dollar river gear is much higher than $500 in Jeep parts. Legitimate Jeep trails take maintenance and political alliance, and if I commit to run those trails on public land I would also have to commit to trail upkeep in hopes of keeping and opening more trails. The fight to maintain river access and removal of useless dams seems to be a much more noble fight. Dam removal would benefit more of the public than my want for muddy Jeep trails on public land. I also find that the worst rafters and kayakers do to the environment is much better than the worst off roaders do to the environment. I think even less people take their kids boating than people take their kids off roading, so my kids can be proud of that as they grow up, just like I am proud (and thankful) that my dad started taking me at 10 years old. I am also thankful for his friend Jeff, who got all of us involved in whitewater many years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts