Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. So we are new to rafting this year and just purchased a new raft about a month ago (14' RMR). We are also in the market for a truck... I'm contemplating what type of rig will work best. We are a family of 4 and intend to use the raft for day/weekend trips with a few longer haul multi-days mixed in. I love Toyota's and drove a Tacoma for many years. I am just unsure if a V6 will be good enough pull the raft/trailer/gear/passengers, etc... I am debating a V8 type vehicle (Titan/Tundra) or a V6 (Tacoma/Frontier). Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm open to other crew cab vehicle recommendations for rafting lifestyle too. Thanks!

·
Registered
972 Posts
V6 would be fine. We tow with our Sienna over mountain passes and all over the west without issue. The kids love it as well.

At the takeout at Westwater a few weeks ago, we were 1 of 3 sienna's de-rigging.

Of course - you would have to be happy with a minivan. But it's very useful for the other 98% of the time you are not towing :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I tow with my 04 Grand Cherokee with the I6, it can be a little gutless going over mountain passes, but it hasn't let me down yet, and my trailer is fairly heavy as far as raft trailers go.

·
I'm right 50% of the time
899 Posts
09 Tacoma long bed crew cab. Fits the family(4), dog and all the gear. Tows great (3500 lbs).

·
Registered
429 Posts
'04 Honda Pilot. It does great with our light trailer and just one boat. When we stack up two boats and gear for 4 or 5 and head to Idaho for a week long trip it starts to get a little stressed, but 11 seasons later, it's still doing just fine.

·
Registered
858 Posts
One more kid than you went with the Sequoia newer model. Really like it and I average 15mpg loaded pulling trailer could be a lot worse.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have the same setup as you (14' Rmr) I haul with my v6 manual tundra but we also haul with a Subaru occasionally. It's a pretty light rig, my v6 is rated for 5,500lbs so I barely notice when towing.
Even on multiday adventures with frame, dry boxes, cooler, firewood and cases of beer, loads of room and plenty of power.

SD

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
V6 would be fine. We tow with our Sienna over mountain passes and all over the west without issue. The kids love it as well.

Of course - you would have to be happy with a minivan. But it's very useful for the other 98% of the time you are not towing :)
This for us in my wifes Sienna. It is a beast and more power than the six cylinder in my Ford.
I have a 94 Explorer which works great most of the time and better ground clearance for beating. The Sienna has a 3,500 lb tow rating I think. Pretty shocked to read that.

And seven seat belts. Great shuttle rig. Goes through tires pretty quick from what I've seen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
'05 Honda Pilot. 148,000 miles. At least 6,000 miles towing 1 or 2 fully loaded boats. With 2 kids and a dog it works well for us. Just about any modern van, suv, or pickup has plenty of power for towing a raft or two.

·
aka The Curmudgeon
354 Posts
2002 Dodge Dakota 4 Dr w/ 4.7 V8 and a Topper.

So far, a great rig. Comparable power and gas mileage to my buddy's 4 Dr Tacoma. Very comfortable inside, have hauled 6 people Split Mtn takeout to Front Range which was tight but doable. I think a topper on a pickup is ugly, but it increases the usefulness dramatically. Typical load for me is two inflated boats on a trailer, 4 adults in the cab and the bed loaded heavy with coolers, boxes, water, etc. Dodge costs about half what a comparable Toyota costs and is maybe even more reliable, at least as comfortable. There, I said it, let the trash talk begin!

Peace,

the Capt

·
Shapp
1,834 Posts
The aire craft carrier, 2001 Tundra 8 cylinder, with headers, upgraded chip, cold air intake, and after market tranny cooler among other mods carrying an aire SDP, aire puma, and 7 aire IKs and all gear for a 9 person 4 day trip.

·
Registered
458 Posts
99' Forester for 6 or 7 years now. Use to tow an Aire 156R now a 15' Wave Destroyer. Looking to upgrade to 2013 6 cylinder Outback in the next year or two, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
4.0 L V6 '13 Tacoma 4-door long bed with a topper and rack and it has no problem. Family of 3, big dog. Trailer weighs about 400 pounds. Room to spare in the back and the rack is there for a rocket box or a buddy's canoe if needed.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I want a convertible vehicle for towing. The tow capacity of a vehicle is a combination of it's actual weight, powerplant, cooling and a few other items. The two biggest elements of that are vehicle weight and powerplant.

So, I could see having a removable ballast and an engine that can run 4 or 6 cylinders. Being that I tow maybe 5% of the time, the rest of the time it would run as a lighter more fuel efficient vehicle. Then when I tow, I would add the ballast and it would kick on the larger engine capacity.

I want a 4-banger or hybrid for around town and then be able to convert it to a Tundra/F-150/what-have-you for towing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Honda element. Definitely labors in the mountains, but we manage. Just the wife, our 6 year old little guy and I, towing a 16' DRE with a fishing frame.

I post mostly just to make the point that you may not need as much power/car as you think you do. That said, we are new car shopping and the next family vehicle will definitely be a 6 cylinder. :-D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
For day boating with a light trailer and a 12' cat, the Prius works fine.
Two week trips to Idaho with a bit more gear and I take a 3.0L minivan so I can sleep inside.

·
Registered
338 Posts
2010 V6 4dr Tacoma. Pull a Sawtooth welding trailer (with under deck storage) Trailer is about 1100 empty, haul a 14' Sotar, and trailer full of gear. Have done Deso with a couple other rafts rolled and loaded, 4 people and gear for 6 for a week. Lots of day trips with a 3 stack on top. Plenty of power, even in the mountains, and plenty of brakes, too (thats the big one, dont care how fast it will go, you have to be able to stop it safely). We tow enough to justify a bigger truck, but the Taco does a great job, and fits the parking lot at the grocery store better.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts