Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
DP/ Cinematographer
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If by some incredible stroke of luck (or the 10 year cycle) Big Sir happens we better all bring a retro boat like the Cruise Control, Crossfire, Dancer etc. to surf. Reminisce on that! I had a Savage Scorpion and a Kendo back then. ( I think)
Glaser and Sloane had Sleeks. Thor - Scorpion, Frank- Pirouette? Paris-Invader?
What did you all paddle the last time Big Sir was up?
(95'-97')

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Super Sport. And it was turquoise. Year before that, purple Dancer XS. I wasn't old enough to drive, so my dad when drop me off before he went to work, and pick me up when he got off. Those were the days...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Necky Jive, hurricane "rodeo" (funny), and Bigfoot squirt boat, I remember seeing someone in a brand new prototype of boat that looked like a shoe and became the vertigo the last time I was there.

This year - If it runs and if i can go - I am warin my tek-vest under my lifejacket and paddlein a Sin with ninja sharpe ends. Anyone who has been ther knows why.

·
Registered
807 Posts
the last time it ran I was killing it with some shudder rudders and playing guitar on my paddle in a Bigfoot and RPM. But I have recently acquired the Bir Sur machine and if it runs this year I will proceed to tear the wave in half with the mint condition Reflex II I traded this guy out in New York for. Sick...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wavesport Frankenstein--classic back-ender machine!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brook, the last time I paddled it was with you and Dylan Snell, McTalks-a-Lot and a few others, you were in the Kendo, I was in a perception super sport, and I remember the guy with the black lab who insisted on fetching his stick while going through the surf waves.
Instead of everyone yelling "LOG!!" or "TREE!", they yelled, "Labrador!".
That dog barely got recovered before the dam downstream.

This time, if she flows, it'll be big glasses, big wig, mae-west PFD, and rippin it up in a big ass whiplash! Man I sure hope she goes!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Kingpin 6.3. Got there with Paul and no wave. Had a safety session, looked up and there it was. It was up for a whole 10 minutes. Can't wait for this year. That thing has to run. Not bringing a boat however, only my surfboard.

hobie

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It appeared in 2003, but it didn't run. It came in for a few days, but it doesn't ever get cranking until it's over 24,000 cfs. Below that, and it doesn't count as the true Big Sur.

I still remember ollieing my super sport on surfers left on the boils that would come down the face, right next to the foam pile. Six inches of pure air in a kayak, and it was so sick...

·
Registered
569 Posts
I remember Chuck Kern had a Fiberglass whiplass and it was so sick. You would bouce out in front of the pile when you spun. Also there was this guy from durango grinding it in a race C-1 before anyone knew what that was. I also remember getting speared and having to surf back a cross the river holding my side. Surfing without a lifejacket is never a good idea.

Peter

·
SarahofTheWaves
395 Posts
Oh yeah,

RPM.

And it was magic. It is one of my coolest boating days ever. Actually it was 2 days... Nothing like the first round trip touring the different wave faces. Didn't think it would be so long between rides. (as in years between "events.")

And my surfboard is with me in Colorado. I don't think my current boats would be the same as the RPM. It would be cool (ice cold maybe) to surf the board on something as fun as Big Sur. Of course, it would be friggin scary, too. All those damn boats and other hazards not found in the ocean.

Hope surf really is up,

SKM

·
DP/ Cinematographer
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see ya

Hahaha so now comes the old school players out of their caves to chime in!!! Irwin, Foley Cutch, Hobie, Solomon, Harvs, PeterB, Fish, Roy!! You boys almost done hibernating yet???

·
Registered
42 Posts
My brother and I had brand new Godzillas. That wave convinced me they were the shit! Some crazy cigar smoker was there and TV cameras etc.

I have the best Big Sur video in existence...picture this...2 surfers on the far side just do a couple of corss overs...pan out to see about 8-10 boaters in the moving line-up...I'm about 3-6 feet from the surfers who were hogging the steep glassy part while I waited blasting the pile...next thing you know this guy Hardy, from Vail I think, not sure but I played a little lacrosse with him too...anyway we get a little zoom in as he losses control of his blast and starts wiping people out and off the wave...boaters are getting knocked off right and left but somehow he's staying on...zoom in a bit more on Hardy...most of the boaters had bailed to avoid kidney shots or just took them and had to bail anyway...next target the surfers...the first one never saw it coming...his boat wiggled in between the guys legs and he looks down right in time to fall on Hardy's deck and get swept off the wave...whoops broken leash..exit 2nd surfer to go help his buddy...suddenly Hardy gets it all under control and he continues to blast the wave while the surfboard gets trashed in the pile for a full minute slowly moving to the near side of the wave..Hardy just slowly stays to the surfer right off it watching it get tossed up in the air and blown in the wind and finally it flushed...fade to black...I get chills picturing the video and every time I watch it I rewind over and over the instant when the surfer realizes he's about to get the shaft...priceless memories!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts