Mountain Buzz banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Very cool.
We were eating dinner with a couple of other 4-H families on Saturday night and the topic of freeze-driers came up. Would be great to process garden veggies at the end of the season, but $$ for one family to purchase. Might be worth sharing (except that one family is hard on stuff...)

What is the consistency when rehydrated?

One point to consider...if you have a lot more rehydrated food, your fresh water needs increase. You don't save weight if you have to pack more water. You do save weight if you're running clear water rivers like we have up here.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Got a fly vice for Christmas so I've been flying ties.

@Bootboy I picked up a Singer 4452 Heavy Duty last spring and haven't used it much since then. Do you have any tips, tricks, or advice for someone just getting into sewing?
You know you don't save money tying flies? hahaha

I'm not Bootboy, but I'll bite (my mom was a home ec teacher and I learned to sew about age 7):
  • Thread and needle selection are important. Buy a thread weight that matches your fabric. Buy needle size appropriate to the thread weight and with tips (round for knit or pointed for woven) appropriate to the fabric type
  • Thread tension is important
  • Pick simple projects with straight seams. Sewing is pretty easy. Pinning and fabric alignment is the hard part. Curved seams and box corners are relatively easy to stitch, but difficult to align and keep aligned
  • Use long quilting pins, they're easier to use with thick outdoor fabrics..but also don't be afraid to loosely hand stitch (baste) two parts together as it's easier to sew over thread than over needles.
  • Bartacking/back stitching is important at the end of seams and at stress points...but the more stitches and thread you fill into the fabric the stiffer and denser the fabric gets. If you will have overlapping seams, don't fill a lower layer so stiff that you can't get stitches through it from an upper layer.
  • Talon zippers from JoAnn fabrics suck. Buy YKK off the internet or from Hobby Lobby

·
Registered
113 Posts
I tuned and waxed 5 sets of skis/boards because I have been lazy about it thus far this season. We have about 15 days up at the ski hill thus far, and are about to start kicking it into to overdrive as my son begins his next Woodward session. I like ski season, but it makes me miss the solitude of rivers!

I did some more research on Black Canyon of the Gunnison as I want to float through it next season after my donations to rec.gov go unappreciated, and figured I needed to have my game plan together on this one to rope a couple of buddies into it.

Also did some more digging into Hot Air Balloon permits to hop over the grand canyon in a couple of years... Hot air ballooning... the hobby you didn't know you needed until your friend decided to buy one, and roped you into helping with his setup!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You know you don't save money tying flies? hahaha

I'm not Bootboy, but I'll bite (my mom was a home ec teacher and I learned to sew about age 7):
  • Thread and needle selection are important. Buy a thread weight that matches your fabric. Buy needle size appropriate to the thread weight and with tips (round for knit or pointed for woven) appropriate to the fabric type
  • Thread tension is important
  • Pick simple projects with straight seams. Sewing is pretty easy. Pinning and fabric alignment is the hard part. Curved seams and box corners are relatively easy to stitch, but difficult to align and keep aligned
  • Use long quilting pins, they're easier to use with thick outdoor fabrics..but also don't be afraid to loosely hand stitch (baste) two parts together as it's easier to sew over thread than over needles.
  • Bartacking/back stitching is important at the end of seams and at stress points...but the more stitches and thread you fill into the fabric the stiffer and denser the fabric gets. If you will have overlapping seams, don't fill a lower layer so stiff that you can't get stitches through it from an upper layer.
  • Talon zippers from JoAnn fabrics suck. Buy YKK off the internet or from Hobby Lobby
LALALALALA I can't hear you!! LALALALA lol JK Yeah I know, my dad ties and bought it for me. My draw to tying is that if you find that one pattern at the shop that works and they stop carrying it you can keep it stocked in your fly box (assuming you can find the pattern and it's not overly complicated).

Awesome, thank you for the pointers! Hopefully I'll have some projects over the winter that will reach a quality worth showing off! lol

·
Registered
722 Posts
Looks good!

Curious why you would dehydrate the tuna since it lasts forever in its current packaging? Is it to save weight?
I had about 15 cans, that were at their expiration date. So if I freeze dry it, it will last 20 years. Less weight, it’s simply a bonus. Later, I will put all of this into mylar bags, and heat seal them. Then it’s a simple matter to grab a few and have your food pack done for a trip.

·
Definite maybe
927 Posts
I'm doing nothing again today. Got the omicron. Ran out of projects days ago. I'm quarantined for a cold I swear.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Very cool.
We were eating dinner with a couple of other 4-H families on Saturday night and the topic of freeze-driers came up. Would be great to process garden veggies at the end of the season, but $$ for one family to purchase. Might be worth sharing (except that one family is hard on stuff...)

What is the consistency when rehydrated?

One point to consider...if you have a lot more rehydrated food, your fresh water needs increase. You don't save weight if you have to pack more water. You do save weight if you're running clear water rivers like we have up here.
The consistency is I'd say a cut above the commercial product. I'm finding a good bit of versatility with it that I didn't expect. I'm mostly working through cases of canned stuff that's past-dated, yet not gone bad. So that's probably not the best food to make a comparison with. I'll get all of that done by spring, and get into more fresh stuff. A full load with all four trays is running about 48 hours, what with deicing the chamber after every other load.
I definitely had thoughts about whether it would pay for itself, but I'd say that in a year or so I'll have it amoritized out. IMHO, it's worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And an Avs sweater to boot!
Love all the hockey here! Played in college myself now helping out with my kids 10u travel team now and loving it! Play DU junior pioneers this weekend then off to phoenix for a tournament next weekend

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I coach 12U youth hockey at our local community rink 3-4 nights a week, teaching adult learn to play hockey 2x/week, and playing in adult league once a week.

In the shop: making my own canvas micarta to build custom knife handles and oar accents, and have a huge order of oars to build this spring so will get started soon on some artsy blade patterns.

and planning to boat soon in the spring once the weather warms slightly. The 2021 season was one of my longest ever—between mid-March and mid-October I got out 37 days with no breaks more than 2 week—plus rowing in my dory on the lake at Thanksgiving…weather permitting I’ll start sooner this year and do the same.
Would love to see your process and pics of oar building. Thought of taking a stab at this in my shop someday.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm doing nothing again today. Got the omicron. Ran out of projects days ago. I'm quarantined for a cold I swear.
Caught the Rona myself over the last day or so. Should be good for my system as it's the second time and just the sniffles and slight cough.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
And an Avs sweater to boot!
Love all the hockey here! Played in college myself now helping out with my kids 10u travel team now and loving it! Play DU junior pioneers this weekend then off to phoenix for a tournament next weekend
Hockey is an incredible sport. Was really cool to be welcomed into it as an adult beginner. People are so eager to share their passion. It's not like the river permit thread where people are getting a bit stand-offish toward newbies because they represent additional competition for permits...hockey players are like "Hey, you wanna be a crazy hockey player like me? Fuck yeah!"

And I love the speed and intensity of the sport. The difficulty. The million decisions you have to make at one time. And the raw athleticism. I was not an "athlete" growing up, and I love that it helps unathletic kids embrace athleticism. My biggest reward right now is mentoring a mildly autistic/highly ADHD boy to play a team sport. First 2 years were a bit of a struggle and now he's GROWING and MATURING and connecting with his teammates.

And my little introverted daughter who doesn't make friends easily showed up in a college town and had a text 3 hours after arriving inviting her to join a former opponent's adult league team.

hockey is awesome.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got a fly vice for Christmas so I've been flying ties.

View attachment 72199

@Bootboy I picked up a Singer 4452 Heavy Duty last spring and haven't used it much since then. Do you have any tips, tricks, or advice for someone just getting into sewing?
Start small, go slow, watch your fingers. Even those home/craft sewing machine are nice for repairs and simply modifications. It’s how I got started and now I have 4 industrial machines and it’s turned into a business for me. So be careful.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Would love to see your process and pics of oar building. Thought of taking a stab at this in my shop someday.

Thanks,
Here's my process/progress in real time. It started right here on the Buzz!

Others posted their processes and ideas, too. There has been a lot of good mutual learning.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Love my 1908 Singer Treadle machine!

As for what have i've been to Mt Ashland snowshoeing over just before Xmas, next week heading back to do some backcountry skiing I hope.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts