Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it’s winter time but it seems like a lot of people are spending excessive amount of time on the keyboards lately. Hopefully you have some thing else to do instead of staring at the screen all day but based on all the chatter I see it does not look like that is the case for some but prove me wrong!

I want people to share their adventures of the winter and enlighten us all with the cool shit that you are doing besides rafting. Rafting is our common thread but we all have outside interests that I would love to learn more about.
Please post some of what you are doing to keep busy whether it’s activities outside or projects in the shop, at least you’re doing something productive!
Sky Plant Snow Slope Larch

Snow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tree Tread

I try and get out skiing most every day and have over 35 days at this point with work mixed in but the skiing has been amazing! Today we started to explore the back country a little bit but showing great respect.

Praise Ullr!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Cool man! Are you ski patrol or something? That like a tundra or wide track utility sled for work or do you use it for access? I bought sleds 2 years ago but shit o dear its like holding on to an angry alligator or like riding a power planer lol. Been facing up a ski rack hoping to go try some easy low angle stuff on my new pow surfer I got from Santa! Woot woot. Love getting back and being alone in the snowy mountains!!
Automotive tire Snow Sports gear Slope Recreation

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow you got balls!

No I am just the fortunate ‘caretaker’ of some sleds that we use for side country skiing as we call it off of our local mountain. That is a Polaris 900 which is a complete work sled but we can ski with five people, riding two and towing three at 11,000 feet.
Those retractable tow devices are what many snow cats have on them for the patrol and they work really well and we made the platters.

Those new ripper sleds are incredibly fast and deserve serious respect!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I coach 12U youth hockey at our local community rink 3-4 nights a week, teaching adult learn to play hockey 2x/week, and playing in adult league once a week.

In the shop: making my own canvas micarta to build custom knife handles and oar accents, and have a huge order of oars to build this spring so will get started soon on some artsy blade patterns.

and planning to boat soon in the spring once the weather warms slightly. The 2021 season was one of my longest ever—between mid-March and mid-October I got out 37 days with no breaks more than 2 week—plus rowing in my dory on the lake at Thanksgiving…weather permitting I’ll start sooner this year and do the same.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I coached for 10 years also, 5 years at what used to called squirts and 5 at bantams but I think you have the age group between those now if I am not correct? Do you travel with the team? Cool you are still involved but I didn't have any kids.

I have played in the weekly league for 30 years but ours is suffering from COVID issues again this year.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I coached for 10 years also, 5 years at what used to called squirts and 5 at bantams but I think you have the age group between those now if I am not correct? Do you travel with the team? Cool you are still involved but I didn't have any kids.

I have played in the weekly league for 30 years but ours is suffering from COVID issues again this year.

Yep, 12U/Peewees is in between. I don’t travel—5 of us coaches, and limit of 4 on the bench (which is plenty!!). Since they’re all parents, I’d just be an extra traveler

I’ve been playing since I was 38..10th season now playing and 8th coaching.

started with the Mites and followed this group up :)

my youngest (whom you met, Charlie) is now playing in the “Ivy” league in Bozeman and also for the MSU women’s club team. She’s GOOD!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Good thread mkashzg (We worked together with Blazing for a few years back in the day!) While waiting for snow in the Arkansas Valley, we follow the reservoirs as they freeze. Square miles of black ice is quite the experience. A couple folks have windsails. Hockey is fun too, you really have to have a touch or someone is chasing the puck for 100 yds or more. I too started skating late in life, grateful for my friends turning me on to my favorite but often short lived winter activity. Early season skating often includes pfd's, throw ropes, and spikes with undulating thin ice and some really crazy moaning and other eerie sounds. The kiddos form their own ice queen gangs too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Skiing was mashed potatoes here so I spent the day at my sewing machines View attachment 72181

Went to to visit and have dinner with my widowed mom. Her chili is perfect on a wet winter day. Cleared the driveway and sidewalks before I left
I'm envious, that's a great brace of machines.

Good thread mkashzg (We worked together with Blazing for a few years back in the day!) While waiting for snow in the Arkansas Valley, we follow the reservoirs as they freeze. Square miles of black ice is quite the experience. A couple folks have windsails. Hockey is fun too, you really have to have a touch or someone is chasing the puck for 100 yds or more. I too started skating late in life, grateful for my friends turning me on to my favorite but often short lived winter activity. Early season skating often includes pfd's, throw ropes, and spikes with undulating thin ice and some really crazy moaning and other eerie sounds. The kiddos form their own ice queen gangs too.
Oh man, that's awesome. It barely froze here before it started snowing, so no black ice this season. Open ice is GREAT practice for making good passes.
Those will be lifetime memories for the kids!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Saw that at sportsman’s and tractor supply. How do you like it???
I’m sort of new to freeze-drying, but so far I love it. It’s one of those high dollar items you want, but then hope you’ll actually use it. So far, it’s been running nonstop 24/7, without a hiccup, for two weeks. I’m doing some canned stuff right now that is dated. Once it’s dried, it’s good for 20 years!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts