Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we have 6 rafts, all are old Rikens. We are thinking it might be time to replace a couple of them... thinking we'd like to buy a new 18' raft. I prefer hypalon as I have all the stuff to maintain them.

So what are my options for manufactures? Who makes 18' ish hypalon rafts these days?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
@ idahofloater, what's the word on the Hyplon manufacturing? Haven't heard about this. Does it produce nasty bi prouduct, or is it just expensive?

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
@ idahofloater, what's the word on the Hyplon manufacturing? Haven't heard about this. Does it produce nasty bi prouduct, or is it just expensive?

Copy and pasted from duPont's web site. Link Below. Don't really know why. My guess is that it will become harder and harder for mfg like nrs to get Hyplon and be forced to go with newer materials like nylon and pvc.

DuPont™ Hypalon®

Update as 04/20/2010
The DuPont Performance Elastomers Hypalon® business has ceased operations as of April 20, 2010. The planned closure was initially announced in 2009, and the plant operation was extended to support the needs of customers through the transition process.
We are no longer offering Hypalon® product for sale. If you are interested in a replacement product, please view the broader DuPont portfolio for other Elastomers that may fit your application needs.

Hypalon®

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Ok, fair enough on the hypalon... so the other option is PVC? Who makes larger boats out of other material?

If I was a guilde or someone who had a fleet of boats that they themselves didn't row. Without a second thought I'd go with aire boats. They are as tough as boats get. Plus the parts are interchangable. If one boat has a bad floor and another boat has bad tudes. You can make one good boat and sell the other. Also you can buy parts as needed. Say a blatter gets all cut up. just buy a new blatter. Patching an aire is as easy and quick as it gets. And lastly, the design of the floor makes aire boat "stick" to the river and hold strieght lines. Now if this is your personal boat boat, I'd go differently.

AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
Looks like DanCan is from Utah and not Idaho, thus he'd be on our awesome silty rivers! AIRE boats + silt don't get along well. Go with Maravia, Dan. Made by the same cool folks in Boise and a very solid boat.... I row one

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Looks like DanCan is from Utah and not Idaho, thus he'd be on our awesome silty rivers! AIRE boats + silt don't get along well. Go with Maravia, Dan. Made by the same cool folks in Boise and a very solid boat.... I row one
Sure, never thought about silt. I am spoiled by our clean rivers. I too boat a maravia. sweet boat.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DuPont™ Hypalon®

Update as 04/20/2010
The DuPont Performance Elastomers Hypalon® business has ceased operations as of April 20, 2010. The planned closure was initially announced in 2009, and the plant operation was extended to support the needs of customers through the transition process.
We are no longer offering Hypalon® product for sale. If you are interested in a replacement product, please view the broader DuPont portfolio for other Elastomers that may fit your application needs.

Hypalon®
All this means is that DuPont discontinued their manufacture of that chemical and Hypalon brand name. Their are other companies in the world that make that particular chemical under different names. NRS switched to a company called Pennel for their supply, who sells it under the name of Pennel Orca.

Also, it seems to me that Hyside and AVON also still sell Hypalon boats, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I heard a very very strong rumor that Bill Wing of WING INFLATABLES MAY shut down the Spec Ops line this next Decemeber and do a one month build of white water boats.

A one month run 50% down to secure a boat. WINGS are second to none on the water. My money's already on the way!

Dirk Williams

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
All this means is that DuPont discontinued their manufacture of that chemical and Hypalon brand name. Their are other companies in the world that make that particular chemical under different names. NRS switched to a company called Pennel for their supply, who sells it under the name of Pennel Orca.

Also, it seems to me that Hyside and AVON also still sell Hypalon boats, if I'm not mistaken.
So, now that duPont is out of the picture, Its your take that someone esle will increase production of Hyplon to fill the void in the market for NRS, hyside, avon, ect.. And it wouldn't get harder for boat mfg to get the product.

Cool, Hyplon is a solid on rafts. Expecially if you like floppy boats.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Hypalon's definitely not on it's way out...

Check out the Avon Superpro. Great boat and a good time to buy... Clavey will give you a $1750 store credit if you buy one: 18ft Avon SuperPro w/ $1750 in Clavey Store Credit
Oh the good old days, Ok, so assume Hyplon is here to stay, but who whats to buy a glued boat? Glued boats in general are on there way out too! Only old ppl who are stuck in the 70's & 80's and still think bias ply tires are the bomb will be using glued boat in 5 years. If I'm gona pay 5K for a boat its gona be made in the usa and it's gona be welded.

Avon's were great boats in there day. So, was $300 gold, Bon Jovi, neon green, and cars that only ran for 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh the good old days, Ok, so assume Hyplon is here to stay, but who whats to buy a glued boat? Glued boats in general are on there way out too! Only old ppl who are stuck in the 70's & 80's and still think bias ply tires are the bomb will be using glued boat in 5 years. If I'm gona pay 5K for a boat its gona be made in the usa and it's gona be welded.

Avon's were great boats in there day. So, was $300 gold, Bon Jovi, neon green, and cars that only ran for 120,000 miles.
I'd buy a glued / hypalon boat. The boats are quality and because of that I guarantee I'll be running them in 5+ years. Different boats for different folks. No matter which boat you end up with the most important thing is who's behind the wheel, not whether it's hypalon or plastic.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree, don't see hypalon going out or a problem with glued boats. I have a glued hypalon Riken that is 26 years old and still in great shape, people will ask how old it is and can't belive when I tell them it was made in 1986. NRS is a good boat most of my friends that guide love them beat the hell out of them at work everyday and would own one. I got one and is holdin up great.

·
Registered
364 Posts
TruDat

Nothing wrong with glued rubber, avoid glued plastic.
I would agree with that, both Maravia and Sotar tried to glue urethane and both had catastrophic failures years ago, they now thermo weld their seams with good success. Hypalon will be around forever because it makes a quality boats. The reason you buy a urethane or pvc boat imo is the way they handle on the water. I hear over and over again on this board about how hypalon is superior to other materials, I'm not convinced about that but I believe if you don't mind a softer boat NRS, Avon, Hyside and others make high quality boats.

·
Cpt. No Scout
517 Posts
Nothing wrong with glued rubber, avoid glued plastic.
nothing wrong with patches too. But thats all any glued boat is "one big old patch job!":rolleyes:

Why would anyone pay 5K for a boat that is not welded?

I would like someone here to point out the avantages of a glued boat over a welded boat.

And lastly why do ppl still think that Hyplon is "far" superior to Sotar Lextron or Maravia class VI faberic. Or for that matter Vangaurd PVC. (and I through in Vangaurd just to give Hyplon lovers a shot at some sort of leget argument)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I own a "soft" Hypalon boat, and I have no complaints. It's kind of nice to sit my ass on a soft boat actually. It handles just fine in the water too, so I don't have any issues with it. I am confident that if I take care of it, my grand children will be using it. I'm not going to knock PVC boats though, just because I don't own one. I am sure they are fine and have their advantages too. Find somethinng you like in the size and price range you are looking and go for it. If you stick with any pf the major brands mentioned hundreds of times by everyone here, you'll be fine. I'd be concerned if you bought something from Wal Mart...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Different strokes different boats

Been following this one with interest. Trying to understand the "why" and the "How" .My wife and I own a Sotar 14 elite cat, Maravia 12 cat Aire 18 cat and we raft with close friends who drive other earlier material made boats. NRS Avon Jacks plastic etc etc.

We own 4 Wing boats a 14 cat, a 12 cat, a 12.9 bailer and another 12 cat. The boats are made of 40 oz Polyurethane thermo welded. All the boats are 14/15 years old now and all in good shape with 4 exceptions.

The Wing boats are in outstanding shape. I leave these boats on the trailer exposed to the sun and weather all summer long. The chaf pads are another 40 oz of Poly top and bottom. We have driven these boats hard bounced off of Klamath River basalt sharp rock "often", wrapped these boats "not so often", and beat the hell out of them over the past 15 years.

It's rare that we see people actually coming over to look at the quality of another brand boat. Yet the Wings seem to demand that kind of attention.

I just wanted to share that if you have a boat, and are on the water you are a lucky man. Not knocking anybody's boat Just wanting to share the toughness of these boats and the abuse they will take.

The Navy Seals, Force Recon, Special Forces, USAF PJ's and Forward Air Controllers USAF S/F all use these dam boats, and there is a reason for it.

The Wing boats are simply tougher then anything else on the water,handle really really well " Stiffness" retain firmness for extended periods of time and are boof proof.

Im not trying to selling these boats I just wanted to share with other boaters that there is a different kind of boat out there. Made in Arcata Ca, that can be had and will last a life time of substantial abuse with mimimual maintance and made with space age components. Most boaters have never heard of Wing Inflatables before.

Do yourself a favor and at least have a look.

Sorry for being long winded, or seeming like a know it all. In fact I know very little, but what I do know I would like to share with my fellow boaters for possible review.

Respectfully submitted,
Dirk Williams

1 - 20 of 30 Posts