Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that the wolverine is being considered for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Also, that Colorado's high elevation forests could be ideal habitat for reintroduction. Currently, only one male is known to inhabit Colorado after wandering 500 miles from Wyoming.

Last year I saw a set of fresh tracks in the mud at the beginning of Westwater canyon, about three miles down from the boat ramp. Our other raft was ahead of me so I didn't stop but noticed that the prints were large and the stride was a couple feet long, I was thinking a smaller bear perhaps and caught the other raft thinking they might have seen it. Instead, they were discussing a sighting from an earlier trip in the same area of an animal they knew was definitely not a bear. My friend said it was dark brown, stocky, with a bushy tail, a couple feet at the shoulder, with a small head and a long snout it kept low to the ground. From his description, I was thinking wolverine and emailed him a photo when I got home. He said, "Maybe!". So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything above Wild Horse rapid around mile 125 that could shed some light on this mystery. It seems very unlikely it could have been a wolverine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've heard reports of black bears at AB camp, but that's it. Would be totally awesome if it was a wolverine, but they are among the most secretive of animals. I've been working in Alaska and most of the guys there have seen about everything, but still say it is extremely rare to see a wolverine.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
duck billed platypus or one of those chupacabras

.people running Westwater reported seeing otters, could fit most of that description,not the bushy tail...badger occurred to me too, but have pretty distinct facial markings...if you just catch a glimpse it 's hard to be sure...

·
Registered
287 Posts
cisco local chillin by the river :confused:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not suitable habitat

Definitely a badger. Big ass badger is wolverine-ish if you've been drinking and not used to seeing badgers...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
WW permit now requires you carry 50 ft. of string or twine and 3 lbs.min.of smoked meats to make food perimeter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts