Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many river miles/days extra would it be to extend a Westwater trip to Moab at late summer/early fall flows? Is the scenery worth the trip, since I know there isn't much action. Good camping?

My brother and dad may come out from Atlanta for a Westy trip, and I figured it may be an idea to extend things a little.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could stretch a Westwater run out by 2 to 4 days floating towards Moab. It's almost 50 miles from Cisco (WW takeout) to the Moab boat ramp, and another 15 or so from Moab to Potash, the lowest takeout. There are several access points in between. There are a few II/III- rapids on the Daily below Hittle Bottom. Scenery is nice below Dewey, but the road paralells the river most of the way, and it is busy in the daytime. There is shady camping at Fish Ford. Otherwise it's a matter of finding sandbars and islands. It's worth car scouting and noting locations as you run the shuttle. I've done the float once after Westwater, with 2 nights between Cisco to Takeout Beach. It was nice, but I don't need to do it again.

For a more remote feeling stretch of river, put in at Loma and float down to Westwater.

·
Registered
299 Posts
on the other hand, the canyon beyond Dewey bridge, floating past Fisher then Castleton Towers, then into the Onion Creek area along the river road is
b e a u t i f u l.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts