Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies have back to back westwater permits for May 11, and 13. With the snow pack on the western slope, I'm wondering what to expect. I've never run it over 10,000 cfs. Just wondering how funnel, skull, and soc it to me look at higher levels.

·
Registered
39 Posts
10,000 is still a fairly easy level. If you're familiar with WW at lower levels you should be fine. Most rapids are pretty much washed out, which is a bummer. Funnel, Skull, and Sock are the same moves you'd make at lower levels. However, when you start getting into the teens, things change a bit, especially funnel. The river, instead of being "funneled" between the two large boulders making the trademark chute, becomes a large curling lateral off of the left wall. It's big and can definitely cause some problems if you're not expecting it. Eddy lines get pretty sharp and you don't want to end up in the room of doom, especially if you're in a raft. I'm sure others will have more specifics to add, but that is generally how I remember it. Happy Boating.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It's just a guess but I would expect mid to high teens that week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts