Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run Westwater at 10-20k, the "terrible teens"? I have a group going out in a couple of weeks with various experieince levels. I have run up to 10k, its all the same, just starting to wash out, would like to know what gives in the teens.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi,

Well it's aggressive, in the sense that there are lots of squirrely swirlies and pretty fast currents. There are many pretty good-sized standing waves in places where there ordinarily would just be a pile of rocks on both sides of the river. (think of that little riffle with a right/left turn a couple of hundred yards below Last Chance.

There is a killer hole (literally - a boat flipped there a couple of years ago with one dead) on river right as you make the easy left turn below Staircase. The wave at Funnel is worth paying close attention. There are some holes in the vicinity of the Surprises that you need to stay away from.

Skull is the same run as always -- right to left, breaking the lateral. But it's harder to stay on the right wall because of the currents pushing off it. That makes it very hard to scout Skull and then get far enough right to make the run you want. You will be impressed with the eddy fence at the Room of Doom, and the way the wave pulses up and down the Rock of Shock. (For a real thrill, look at the sucking toilet bowl just to the left of the Rock.)

If you swim -- plan on a long one.

Everything else is fast and sort pushy, but interesting -- call it a skill-builder level. (I should say that my son is a kayaker, and he really doesn't feel its much fun at this level because of all the work required to stay upright, and the limited play options, as he sees them.)

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
VP, GCPBA
gcpba.org

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good summary Rich.

Westy is at 21,000 now and could be in the high teens by the time our permit comes up this weekend.

Anybody interested in joining us? Put in at Loma on Sat. and take out at Cisco on Sunday or Monday.

Email me offlist if interested.

Jethro

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the beta -- this pretty well puts it together. Looks like the peak is past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts