Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if he fire ban at Westwater is still in effect, camping Saturday and launching Sunday.

Thanks

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm a WAVE volunteer out there. Would not be surprised if the fireban is still on. It is like a tinderbox down there, especially the cheat grass. I've seen it crest over the canyon walls and come down into the canyon from lightening. Firepans are required no matter what so bring one anyway and check with the ranger on duty when you get there or call the BLM in Moab this week to make sure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info, we did July 3rd and the Ban was on, Hopefully your leader read the board, it was a complete ban.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just thought I'd add an answer to the other obvious question - - why are firepans required when there is a fireban in effect? - - because its easier to enforce rules if they always in effect. Imagine hundreds of new boaters coming out every week (thousands in the course of a season) wondering and asking "do we need a firepan this time?" etc. Enough questions already being asked, so, for the sake of ranger and volunteer sanity, the rule is - - firepans are always required. (Just hum that good ol' fashioned tune "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" and relax!)

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
Buck,

Thanks for the clarification on why firepans are required. Is Alex correct? I would assume that in case of an emergency a fire would be allowed.

I would also suggest anyone bringing a firepan leave the 40 lb deluxe pan with grill at home and bring a lightweight backyard charcoal grill or something that is easy to haul and still meets the size requirements in the regs.

Thanks,

-AH

·
Registered
554 Posts
Galvanized mechanic-style oil drain pains work nice. Lightweight, tall lip, good size. I rarely build a fire in summer anymore anyway - - don't need the mess. (Grin)

As for emergency use, of course, if it's cold and someone swims, build a fire. But cold water and fire bans usually don't coincide (Grin again).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts