Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run westwater 10+ times but never in the winter. I have permit for this Sunday and then I was planning on putting my boats up for the winter. Is westwater fun in the winter? Is there enough water? Honestly, how cold is it in Moab during winter? Any info or experiences would be appreciated.

PS- I might have room on my permit, I will let you all know when I have figure out who is coming with me.

F

·
0 Posts
winter in westwater

i have run it in november many times and its fun if there is sun. grand junction/moab can be nice50/60 all winter, except when a storm is brewing. just gotta play the weather, if its good, start early if its bad, drink beer. i hear about people running it all year, just depends on how cold you wanna be, there is usually always water.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm in gunny, let me know what you find out i would love to jump on a permit. Any time!

J

·
0 Posts
Westwater winter boating is great. Last winter, which was a terrible water year, had plenty of flow for class III rapids. True it can be a tit bit nipply, but it's warmer than ski resorts and cold never kept you out of the mountains in the winter did it? Anyway, during the winter tons of bald eagles migrate to the canyon, there are zero people within 70 miles, there are no permits, rangers or fees and it's the only thing worth hitting for 800 miles during the dead of winter. Be sure to take your mountain bikes and ride shuttle instead of bringing tons of cars out there. I had an anonmyous friend swim about 6 times in January and Feb and he's amped for more this winter! See you there as soon as Bailey and Gore stop running.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ran ww one crisp mid-Dec day years ago. Full on dry suits and not a whole lot of play. But very fun and not a person on the river.

Beware how short the days are. Mess around with shuttle and you could easily arrive at takeout well after dark. No fun in 30 deg weather.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ran ww one crisp mid-Dec day years ago. Full on dry suits and not a whole lot of play. But very fun and not a person on the river.

Beware how short the days are. Mess around with shuttle and you could easily arrive at takeout well after dark. No fun in 30 deg weather.
4 year old thread but thanks for sharing:twisted:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Surf God,
I doubt you would be up for it. I've seen you paddle and I'm afarid that your swims in the winter would surely lead to an epic.
If you want to do a towny I'm in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Surf God,
I doubt you would be up for it. I've seen you paddle and I'm afarid that your swims in the winter would surely lead to an epic.
If you want to do a towny I'm in.
are you people retarded on this site? what part of "4 year old thread" didn't you get?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry upshitcreek, didn't catch that I guess. If it bothers you, you could always just mind your own F***ing business and not read our retarded replies...prick.

·
Registered
536 Posts

C'mon, people! Just send in what you can to help Jerry's Kids.

It's a great cause!

Just read the previous post. We need your money...NOW!!!!

Special kids just like dugan and treewell will see immediate results with proper care, fight illiteracy programs and waterproof bibs to wear in their classes.

·
As the father of a child with special needs, I take great offense to calling these people retarded.
Spend a day in their shoes and you might see things differently.
Have a nice day.
P.S. What's wrong with talking about Westwater in the winter even if it is a very old post? The river in winter hasn't changed much since 03 and people still might have questions about what it's like.

Arguing on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics even if you win you are still retarded

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dugan=Rafter

Dugan was just telling me how he bought another raft and wanted to get more time on the class II San Juan and if I had beta on the Ruby Horsethief. True story. And of course I do not have beta on Ruby Horesthief, that's for busted rafters and familys with small children.

Trying to get this wannabe on the river is harder than getting Leif's mom off your balls. As I just finished a third year in a row of 100+ days of KAYAKING, Dugan boats close to 20 days of mostly town runs and sober rafting outings. Doing a road trip for Dugan is putting in all the way up at 32nd street for the towny and he is full of crapy raft guide stories from the Gauley during shuttle.

DUGAN=RAFTER

·
Registered
43 Posts
who cares if it is unoriginal...do i need to explain it to you? why are people arguing on the internet...do you not get it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sure, attack me when I'm not at work knowing damn well that is the only time I'm near a computer.
For the record, Cosurfgod has only one move in the hole and that is the underwater stall. Choice. Every once in a while he gets air before dropping on his head, then rolls up in the hole and calls it a loop.
Furthermore, he claims to have paddled 110 days this season. I don't count days when you just sit on your tailgate at the playpark and drink warm coors light, then talk about how the level wasn't right. That immediately knocks total days down to at least 50. Out of those 50 days the majority of those runs include him paddling the class III leads-ins, catching an eddy and walking the actual rapids. He does have great legs though. That puts him somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 legitimate town runs and an obscure flooded ditch here and there.
As for me rafting, the only time he's seen me in a rubber boat was the time I took one for the team and offered to guide a boat so our wives could do the Piedra w/ us. However, at the put-in someone's mangina was still bleeding from all the shitty domestic beer he had drank the night before and showed up sans kayak - mooching a free ride on my raft and f***ing up all our lines. The only thing worse than guiding a raft is being a passenger on one.
Surfgod will be holding a clinic this winter on his patented back deck roll. If any of you ever wanted to resemble a wounded Manatee while upside down in a kayak, this is a must make class. Please contact me for registration.

PS. Upshitcreek - this is still a 4 year old post, however, you're still a prick. Oh yeah, stop making fun of retarded people.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As the father of a child with special needs, I take great offense to calling these people retarded.
Spend a day in their shoes and you might see things differently.
Have a nice day.
P.S. What's wrong with talking about Westwater in the winter even if it is a very old post? The river in winter hasn't changed much since 03 and people still might have questions about what it's like.

Didn't mean to offend man, real sorry. Honestly...(no sarcasm)

-Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts