Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating a trip sometime in Oct, probably mid month. Seeing an old friend most of the time, but thinking of a late season Westwater run. Running a Tomcat and have an astro, so good amount of room for hauling more gear/boats. May have a local guide in for the run already.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also hitting arches and be nice to run with someone who knows the lines. All my boating is on the Ark, so different type of river will be cool. Sched kind of depends on others going. Don't want to get too late cause it can get cold later in oct I'm betting. Trying to tie down details and set up permit (year round requirement) in the next few weeks. Need to see friends schedule for his stay in Moab too. You think weekends will still be busy Rich?

·
Registered
984 Posts
How many days do you have? You can add a couple nights after with a float to Moab (or nearabouts) direct from westwater/Cisco and you could also add a couple nights at the beginning by launching at Loma and floating Ruby/Horsethief. Do both and all of a sudden you can fill a week.

October is still usually very nice, but the sun will be mostly absent in the inner gorge while you are running Rapids. So while it gets colder in there, you should find it very pleasant otherwise. But dress for a cold swim on Rapids day.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish I had that much time Dostep. Got a day to boat. Self employed (specialty coatings, shameless plug since you're close). Seeing a friend and want to see Arches NP while I'm there too. Saw youtube of WW and got an itch. Guide who posted is has same last name, ended up facebooked with each other. He is guiding out there now. Thanks for the info on cooler sections. I'll be sure to bring the gear (drypants, neoprene top). Looking forward to trying some overnights next season. On a side note, thinking of Brown's on Labor Day, since you're in Salida. Hit me with a pm if you're boating local. Self employed so swamped/slack cycle...

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you end up getting a weekday permit I would love to join on a Tomcat. I still have never run on an IK but have rowed it probably 50+ times

Weekend permits go pretty quickly be prepared to call multiple times at 8 AM the day it becomes available

·
Registered
66 Posts
On a related note, I have a Oct 11 (Sunday) day permit. I would like to join up with someone who has a Saturday permit for back to back runs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts