Mountain Buzz banner

Westwater Canyon Weather in November??

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  cecil 
#1 ·
I am a newbie going on my first overnight river trip with my wife(November 8, 2008), and it happens to be in Westwater Canyon. I will be in a kayak, and my wife will be in a raft. We both are new to overnight trips, and are looking for some advice from the experienced! I was wondering what the usual weather pattern is there early to middle November? What do you normally take on a single overnight trip? I guess I am looking for a simple packing list?? Ha Haa!! Nothing is ever simple!:mrgreen: I don't want to over pack and also don't want to be wishing I had brought something! I appreciate any and all advice!! Thanks!

Cheers!

-Nick

#3 ·
Check the weather before you go. Make sure your roll is solid, all the other advice is good. have a spare set of dry stuff, and make sure your scotch is single malt, preferably at least 10 years old! Water temp is dropping, maybe splash gear or a wet suit.

#4 ·
Definitely splash gear and wet suits on river; fleece at camp.The one rowing doesn't get nearly as cold as those riding- I've been in both positions.

November is usually when I go, but even last weekend I wore full splash gear and I don't get cold easily.
Don't skimp on gear to save space- skimp elsewhere if you have to.

And take a handle. Not a pint, not a 5th, take a handle.

#8 ·
Obviously you will want to check the weather report as sun or snow could be possible. With that said...

When I made November WW trip it was chilly during the days. I didn't have pogies and my hands froze while on the water. Wind shouldn't be too bad unless a front is pushing in. The nights were cold. Nice layer of frost on everything the next morning.

I would bring as much dry-gear as you can manage. The drier, the warmer. Good sleeping bag is a must as well.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.