Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I hit up Westwater in a raft this year at 18,000+ cfs. How is it at this level? Still solid boils everywhere or more tame? I am a solid class III boater and hate boils. Thanks for the beta.
OH! Time is running out to donate to the First descent paddle-a-thon. Good paddling to all.

"You know, I'd be jealous about you staying at Allie's place, except I always thought he was kind of a closet queer." -Steve Zissou

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've run it at 4K. It was pretty tame. Boils and nasty eddy fences still exist, but you will have no problem down there at this level. Great play starts to form compared to the stompin 18K you ran it at.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Great play at Lower Little D at the 3-4K range. All big water class III, miss the cut at Skull and get surfed in the hole right of Razor Rock, but it's a forgiving surf.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Razor rock comes out at 3300 cfs, and bowling alley becomes active. Plenty of time between rapids. Deer flys are thick above wild horse and again below Big Horn camp.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It is a piece of cake at low water. It's amazing how different it is.

The drops will be better defined, a few easy big waves, but nothing very pushy or squirrely. Try going in the room of doom for fun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right-O! Thanks for the 411 on Westwater. No matter what it will be fun, I am freakin' kayaking.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
You'll love it. Westy is really a kick between 3 & 5K and actually washes out a little bit from 5 to 10K cfs. Bowling Alley is a blast, Sock-it-to-Me is a gas, and the move at Skull is an easy R->L cut just above the big hole - as the Sick One would say its " a Class II move with Class VI consequences."

Let me know if you need raft support and have fun!

--Andy

·
Registered
190 Posts
the lower the better

if you're a kayaker, the lower west water is, the better. the lower the better, the lower the better, the lower the better, the lower the better...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts