Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Can anyone from GJ or Fruita fill us in on how much snow is on the ground near the West Water put in as of this week? We are scheduled to launch Saturday and trying to best plan what type of camping conditions to expect.

Any ice on the river this week through the West Water Canyon?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't know about the put in, but we drove through Utah two days ago and and at the Westwater exit there was about 6 -10 inches on the ground.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Been a cold winter Here! Just starting to warm up, some snow on the ground in desert, north facing for sure!
Not sure abt ice in canyon? but would think main channles are open?!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Dress warm and for wet weather if camping. I am at the station now looking at maps. We are due for 4-7 inches by tommorow afternoon. That same system appears to be shifting into the westwater area by about 6pm tonight. Snow levels at 3,000 feet in the great basin and west (currently). Just what I have read this morning.

h

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input, I just got off the phone with the ranger, sounds like up to 2 feet of snow all along the river. Boat ramp, parking area, and camping zones at the put in have been plowed. So you can get to the river, but expext to camp in snow pack conditions. River channels are clear, but ice on the edges.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi,

I'm at the WW ranger station right now, through the miracle of Verizon Mobile Broadband.

The campground is snow-covered, as is the check-in area and about half of the parking areas. Think in terms of a foot of crusty snow that you post-hole into as the day warms up. Melting has continued with temps in the 40's; there is rain and possible snow predicted for tonight.

The camps downriver are all reported to be ice and snow covered. Getting into some of the camps may be difficult due to ice shelves or other ice buildup.

The top of the ramps and the ramps themselves at the put-in have been plowed, but they are very wet and muddy. I'm inclined to think only four-wheel drive vehicles should try to back trailers down, if you want to try at all.

I was at Cisco yesterday. The road in there was passable, but the parking lot there, the top of the ramp, and the ramp itself have not been plowed. When I walked down the ramp to the river itself, I was postholing into 12-18" of crusty snow.

There will be potable water available at the ranger station over the weekend.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Thanks for including the info about Verizon internet working there! I switched over to it and am happier every day that I ditched Comcast internet.

Thanks for the WW update too :) Hope it melts over the next three weeks for when we arrive.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for including the info about Verizon internet working there! I switched over to it and am happier every day that I ditched Comcast internet.

Thanks for the WW update too :) Hope it melts over the next three weeks for when we arrive.
True. Story.

hey - look at it this way... it won't be difficult to keep beer cold!

·
Registered
91 Posts
For anyone who might be interested, I just had to cancel a launch for Saturday April 10th because I cannot make it. Just in case someone wants to call in and get a permit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts