Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would say Kaleb? But he has new dirt bikes and new trampoline and a Jeep and a camera and a Facebook account and I think he lost his chainsaw anyways or sold it for a camera or a Facebook account

·
Registered
277 Posts
Kaleb is busy changing diapers and surfing Facebook while dreaming of boating or riding his dirtbikes. I hear his Jeep never leaves pavement, he is scared to hurt it....

·
gOtTaGokAyAkn'
273 Posts
2 years ago was the last time I was able to kayak the whole run... Currently there is lots of wood throughout the run...The run needs a flossing. You can still navigate this stretch with extreme caution and multiple portages. Be very careful because of the continuous nature of this run. The micro eddies are hard to catch and boating straight into the riverwide wood and quickly ejecting while climing on top of the hazards might become your best option...with a solid crew the wood could be removed in an afternoon...it was throughly flossed just three years ago. Here is a link with pictures of one hazard; http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f14/new-hazardous-river-crossing-from-hikers-38437.html

·
Registered
505 Posts
Coors Falls and the two drops below it are clean as is Z Turn Gorge, other than a log before the first left turn that doesn't look to be too problematic. I would be down with a low water descent/wood removal mission.

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Coors Falls and the two drops below it are clean as is Z Turn Gorge, other than a log before the first left turn that doesn't look to be too problematic. I would be down with a low water descent/wood removal mission.

Ditto... just scouted it on sunday, didn't go past the flatwater between z & 40 though.

I'm pretty sure the "bridge" is high enough to get under at anything less than 400 or so, and that tree is no longer stuck under it. If I'm wrong about the clearance... the chainsaw will get a workout & I'll hop on mtn project & tell them next time they drop a live tree we'll use the chainsaw on some live meat:eek:

Btw... just got back from dirtbiking for a few hours this am, after changing diapers ;) I've promised not to do crap like WFCC anymore, but I'm down to help clean any time, just shoot me a PM. I've got an hour in the AM & an hour at lunch every day, and always willing to go after work. (I work from home in Dumont)

Btw... got two chainsaws folks are welcome to borrow if I ever can't make it. C'mon Chrispy... a hillbilly ******* like me can't be without a chainsaw!!!:D Hell... I'm still buring wood this spring, it's cold up here at night man!

Btw Ken... we're going for one last sled ride on sat I think. There's more coverage up there now than there was the last time we went up... it's still snowing pretty good up there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good to hear you are out and getting some fun in Kaleb. Maybe we need to plan an afterwork run on Lawson, get the kids together to play. Harper misses her buddy.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
just out of curiosity, has anybody run that upper slot drop?Nice pictures Bank, you run that? I remember seeing that at a good level that I thought even I could do, a long time ago but bad wood just below it..I know Kaleb said it had not been run but that was at least ten years ago, people had just started running the WFK (probably 1D'd long before?)

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
just out of curiosity, has anybody run that upper slot drop?Nice pictures Bank, you run that? I remember seeing that at a good level that I thought even I could do, a long time ago but bad wood just below it..I know Kaleb said it had not been run but that was at least ten years ago, people had just started running the WFK (probably 1D'd long before?)
Which slot do you mean? The one in the 3rd drop is run pretty regularly, I've run both sides in my playboat a few times even. The boater's left slot in that one is ugly below 200, but above that it's not bad at all.

Or do you mean the boater's left at the falls? There's a NASTY pipe sticking out there, I can't see anyone running that unless they're in there at really big flows.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
The one Bank was talking about up by Woods in the link with picture of homemade bridge..pretty sure it is the first two shots in the next post ..looks different so high...you and I talked about it once a long ass time ago..

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
AH... always wanted to hit that one, it seems like putting in by urad road & going down from there would be fun. I've always wondered how the river looks by berthoud falls. I'd find it hard to believe if Lyle hasn't run that... I think he owns a place down by the river there. If we get a warm spot soon that might be good to go! I know deepstroke went up to jones on the sled tonight, and I think he'd agree there's snow in places up there now that you rarely ever see... a hard warm up might create some pretty big flows this year.

·
gOtTaGokAyAkn'
273 Posts
That drop lands on a rock, the entrance and landing looks tricky when it is not cranking...I have not run it... I wish I would have while it was cranking. Maybe this year? Some other locals sent an empty kayak down it a couple times, they told me it looked good to go...I am still scared of landing on my head. Anyway, about the wood situation...there has been some wood in the second z gorge, I hope you are correct that it is gone. I agree that you should be able to fit under the tree bridge now that the other wood is gone. The riverwide hazards I was remembering were below the 40 rapid and shotgun and somewhere below the next bridge. We scrambled up onto a strainer and decided to hike out the last time I was down there. We were just upstream from that closed restaurant.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I did a recon mission earlier and Kaleb is correct; there is a LOT of snow at Jones Pass. West Fork is gonna crank and that slot drop should be good to go for people who don't care about their back or boat. Could it really be a first D?

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
that slot drop should be good to go for people who don't care about their back or boat. Could it really be a first D?
All 75 feet of it:D almost as glorious as getting a first on something like Turkey creek huh? (speaking of, I bet that's flowing decently this year!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts