Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure this topic has been talked about a lot on here but I'm in the market for a new paddle. Right now I have a crappy AT fiberglass paddle (whatever the one with the white blades is) and I'm looking to upgrade.

It's obvious that Werner and AT paddles are the biggest companies out there so I have kinda narrowed it down to those two. My friend has the AT2 and I love it but the only problem is the price. I know that Werner's carbon paddles are just expensive though. I am starting to lean towards Werner because they have a much larger variety and have most of their carbon paddles in fiberglass or whatever their cheaper alternative to carbon is.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have both an AT and a Werner (both fiberglass). The AT was new this season, Werner I've had for 10 years, so obviously much more history with the Werner, but I think they're both good paddles - no complaints on either.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If you go with bent shaft the bend is different and thats up to you which is better. When it comes to longevity, I have seen many AT paddles break, Werner wins hands down.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
For me the choice comes down to durability. I tried AT again this year and had a cracked paddle in less than 10 uses. Doesn't matter how good your paddle feels if it's broken. Until someone produces a paddle with comparable strength I'd go Werner.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am a Werner paddle user. I enjoy the bent shaft of the werner paddle over the AT because I can grip it better and it feels better in my hand.

I do want to mention that AT has more durable options sooner and with a lower price for the edging.

People have called it "dynell" i've heard "kevlar" but the botom line is AT offers a strong edged paddle at a lower price than Werner.

Having the edging from werner or AT will buy you years of life in the durability of the paddle.

There are tradeoffs for having a foam core edged paddle vrs a fiberglass or carbon blade. Edged foam core blades tend to feel different in the water at first vs a flat fiber paddle.

In all, if you want a paddle that should last for years get the foam core edged blades. If you dont mind replacing and or wearing down a FG paddle every 3 years or so go with the fiber/carbon.

Also, I know a guy who had a carbon blade werner and it did not last any longer or preform beter than my fiber glass werner. plus its solid black.

I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts as well, how did you all get to like what you like about your paddle?

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Werner uses a 3 piece construction and will replace any piece that needs it. That includes whittling down your blades to half the size they were. Werner figured out how to get their carbon fiber blades to whittle instead of fracture for most impacts. AT paddles in my experience tend to fail catastrophically rather than gradually. Every paddle with break on a big enough hit but AT's break pretty consistently with much lesser impacts. When I owned an AT it felt great and I dug it way more than the werner bent shaft. I'm on straight shafts now and wouldn't ever consider going back to an AT. Too much money for such a fragile product.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I like the feel of a AT bs but like others have stated I broke my super light in 2 seasons use I wish I could say different cause I dont like the feel of werner paddles just my 2 cents

·
Registered
180 Posts
Werner!

I have paddled them all, my favorite currently not in the mix is my CORE, when not in my hands I am very found of my Werner Sho-Gun. As a company there are made here in the USA and are very reasonable on the warranty side. The grip on AT is one of the biggest differences and were the blade starts in the water on a stroke. Never got use to the grip and felt like I was a bit behind when it hit the water. I can't help to mention that Werner is on sale right now in the shop, call for details, there are legit. Demo's are available as well and the Lower Blue is running.

TMCK

Keep the Hairy Side up.....

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just go an AT eddy from backcountry.com for $270 and although I'm pretty new to paddling I really like it, love the way the bent shaft feels and it feels great in the water. I also have a werner powerhouse strait shaft and like it as well but still really love the way the eddy feels a lot better. I know I've heard AT paddles aren't as durable but I thought at the price it was worth a try.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
56 Posts
werner

this has been an ongoing debate for years. the way i look at it is this. if were going to paddle the creek together and you have an at paddle. i need to be sure that your back up is a werner break down. for my safety and yours. paddle a werner and back it up with a werner.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the replies! It seems pretty obvious that Werner is the way to go. Now that I know that what are your thoughts on the sherpa vs powerhouse? From what I have been able to gather is that the powerhouse is a bigger blade therefor more power. The Sherpa is a smaller blade but still a river running paddle therefor more forgiving on the shoulders. I already have a play boat paddle so I would just use this for river running.

Oh and I will probably go straight shaft fiberglass, not carbon... too expensive haha.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Powerhouse, unless you're particularly small and can't handle the larger blade. It will eventually whittle down to Sherpa size anyway. I could see going Sherpa for a breakdown since it saves a little weight and you, hopefully, won't be using it often.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had both AT and werner... my vote is werner hands down. I've broken two AT's before switching over to straight shaft. I enjoy the powerhouse in both FG or Carbon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts