Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking myself into a new Werner paddle. I am thinking about the Powerhouse in full carbon. Has anyone used this paddle? Is the “Performance” (not the Performance Core) carbon worth it over the regular fiberglass models?

Anyway, I was interested in people’s opinions of the Werner paddle.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I love the Powerhouse fiberglass paddle. My only problem with it is those fiberglass blades wear down really fast. If you paddle a lot and have a tendency to indiscriminately hit rocks while paddling, your blade will be noticeable smaller and disproportioned within a season. I think I'd go carbon to prevent the blade wear - probably worth the extra $ on a per use basis. If you get the fiberglass model, don't paddle a lot, don't hit rocks, or tape up/epoxy those ends.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My friend had the carbon paddle broke the blade got it replaced broke the blade again. Now he is using my old fiberglass paddle that i replaced because it was pretty worn down. I would rather have my paddle wear down over the course of a few seasons than have the blade snap in half in a big rapid. I have the fiberglass sidekick and love it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Powerhouse

Upside to fiberglass blades is they are red in color. The carbon blades are black, making an all black paddle - hard to see in the water (ie if one is dropped, easy to lose).

I think the Waterstick paddles had better grips than the Werner.

The new H20 paddles look bomber, both w/ the santoprene grips and tough blades.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I paddle the Werner Powerhouse & really like it but thought I'd try something different & dropped the bucks on a nice AT paddle.. I am a big guy & maybe lack some paddle stroke technique but I broke that paddle within a month.... So I"ve gone back to the Powerhouse because it is vitually unbreakable...but as mentioned they do wear down. And if you paddle a lot & do any creeking they wear fairly fast in my experience. So I believe buying a paddle is directly releated to the type/style of paddling you do. The carbon Werner definitely feels & paddles nicer but for me is just not tuff enough for the worries & extra bucks.

Want to buy a two time used At paddle? Ha. I'm selling it!

MtnGuyXC

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I have the Shogun I think and I really like the carbon plades. It is black as stated but you can use a silver sharpie to write your name big or put colored duct tape in the middle of it. It cost so much that when I swim I let the boat go and make sure I hold on to the paddle. Strong, light and has a great feel. Expensive for sure but I think its worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts