Mountain Buzz banner

Well, that was odd. Middle Fork un-claimed permits released at midnight?

8866 91
Rec.gov came thru again, but 8 hours early.
  • Wow
Reactions: IDriverRunner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
In the past all canceled permits were supposed to be released with in 24 hours of being canceled. Even the ones prior to March 16. Last year , by mistake,those permits were stock piled. When the mistake was found they released the enmass the afternoon of the 15th. It would appear that this has changed per the rec.gov quote.

· Registered
2,587 Posts
I thought it was the other way around.... traditionally any permits not claimed, dropped or otherwise secured from the main lottery were released on the 16th at 8am.

Any cancellations that happened after that were released within a 24 hour period from when they were cancelled.

The confusion and weirdness that happened last year was that they started releasing the lottery permits that people turned down BEFORE the 16th. This left many people unprepared and some lucky who just happened to check on the 15th. I thought I remember people saying they saw them pop up before the 15th too.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Me thinks the terms USFS uses are redundant as far as "declined" and/or "cancelled" terminology up to the 16th of March. They mean the same thing and after the 16th, that is when the random releases happen. It's business as usual for the permits for the 4 Rivers Lotteries.

· Registered
58 Posts
Just got off the phone with the district clerk. He said there was a policy change and canceled permits will no longer be released within 24 hours during the confirmation period. They will now be released in the free for all on the 16th. I am waiting to hear back from Courtney Frost, she handles mf permits and lotto, for a explanation behind the change. I am not happy about the change. The devil is in the details and these details are worth being aware of. I have picked up cancelations during the confirmation period. That is or was prime time for cancelations.

· Registered
58 Posts
I'm surprised everyone was not aware of this. It has been this way for a long time. And clearly spelled out in the email that IDriverRunner posted March 17th , post #62. Or the post #68, from a confirmation link. I consider this a significant policy change. Use last years numbers as a example. 13 or more permits were canceled during the confirmation period. 22 were unconfirmed. That represents nearly 10% of All private permits. Releasing them at one time is just not equitable. At least if the canceled permits would be released randomly with a captcha system that would be equitable or a bit better. It's not too late to voice your opinion.

· Registered
Aire 156R & Super Puma
412 Posts
I'm surprised everyone was not aware of this. It has been this way for a long time. And clearly spelled out in the email that IDriverRunner posted March 17th , post #62. Or the post #68, from a confirmation link. I consider this a significant policy change. Use last years numbers as a example. 13 or more permits were canceled during the confirmation period. 22 were unconfirmed. That represents nearly 10% of All private permits. Releasing them at one time is just not equitable. At least if the canceled permits would be released randomly with a captcha system that would be equitable or a bit better. It's not too late to voice your opinion.
Well, my reading comprehension must be at an all time low haha. I was the one that posted the email spelling out the differences, words were even in bold but it still didn't click in my brain apparently. I guess this policy change doesn't really effect me. I'll keep playing the clicking game at 8am and hope for the best.... but I guess this year there potentially could be more permits since permits cancelled between the lottery result date and the re-release date will now be released with the unclaimed permits. Maybe I'll get lucky this year with the 8am clicking??

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Thank's for not posting this in the past. For many, it would have added another 45 day's of being OCD and non productive for those who work for a living. All good things come to an end eventually.

· Registered
58 Posts
This policy change is deeper than I understood. As i mentioned, details can be important. The forest service is preparing a notification regarding the policy changes. And most, if not all of us buzzards will be happy. I don't want to describe the changes as I may get the wording wrong and just be spreading bad info, dates and what not. So, we wait for a rec.gov notification on the mfs page. It won't affect your lotto choices, just cancelations.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts