Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the fun experience of surfing the hole at the bottom of tootsie roll this weekend we believe it was around 4000 CFS but either just before going into the hole or during the surf my 2 inch (1.9 IPS) Aluminium frame broke at 4 of the weld points.

I am not an expert on welding and the welds looked clean and well done on the outside.

This is a commercially built all be it old frame and would like to know if this is what can be expected from a welded frame or do the welds not look like they have penetrated far enough.

Don't want to say who made the frame as this is an old frame and I don't know its full history.

The thought is to use the parts to make a modular frame and cut all the welds out.

just to reiterate this is not a finger pointing exercise but more of need to understand what I have and is this what I should expect from a welded frame
pics below are off the snapped joints and a cracked weld as well as a not broken weld

P.s. there s a well document hole at the bottom of tootsie roll that should be avoided :(

Attachments

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Weak penetration

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
441 Posts
Weak penetration

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I agree, the weld should penetrate well down into the beveled cut and blend the metal together. That is why they bevel the cut. Those pics look like the bead was just sitting on top of the pipe.

·
The Old Troll
458 Posts
So take it to a welder and get it fixed. Now lets talk about that hole!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Those welds stink. Any drunk kayaker with a mig or rig welder in there hands would have a difficult time screwing it up that bad even if they never welded before. I say this from experience.

·
Supertuber
8 Posts
Stan - those welds do indeed look insufficient due to lack of penetration. Old aluminum may give you trouble but PM me and we can likely fix it for you. I work for Design Metal Manufacturing in FOCO so we can likely fix it for you if you choose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So take it to a welder and get it fixed. Now lets talk about that hole!
Simple story : Boat stopped tracking across the river which makes me think the frame broke before the hole (I believe its called cookie monster) so we went straight over the top of it surfed and span whilst high siding for apparently 5 mins and then got spat out and made it to the last eddie before the next rapid would like to say that the boat did not flip and neither my wife or myself swam

actual story : WTF o Crap AAAAAAAAAArgh Highside (Repeat highside for 5 minutes ) Frames broken (said to passing raft ) We are out Paddle Fork

·
Registered
320 Posts
I can also offer free repair here in the fort. Not a professional welder just have done lot over the years steel or aluminum. Let me know if I can help

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts