Mountain Buzz banner

Weight of real Hypalon vs the modern knock-off Hypalon?

1533 15
I managed to get my hands on an Avon Pro to test for a few days. When I unloaded it from the bed of my pick up, I couldn't help but notice how light it felt compared to my 14' NRS Otter. I inflated both boats, removed the thwarts, then picked them up with the hoist in my shop hanging off a scale. Even though the Avon is 16 feet, and has more seam tape and chafing strips, it weighs the same as my 14' NRS boat.

I don't know what fabric NRS uses, but its way heavier than the original Hypalon that Avon used. I have a hunch NRS is using that same heavy fabric that Riken used that made their boats handle like such pigs.

I think the original Avon fabric was Hypalon coated on both sides, and it seems like I read somewhere that NRS fabric has some kind of neoprene on one side? At any rate, it seems neither NRS or Hyside are using anything that is really even close to original Hypalon in terms of weight? My question is, is there something comparable to the old Avon Hypalon fabric available, like a different spec or grade of the stuff NRS and Hyside use? Any

I'm in the process of designing and building a new custom 16' boat, inspired by the design of the Pro, and if the NRS and Hyside production fabrics are the only things available in rubber, I think it makes more sense to go with plastic. Their fabrics are way too heavy.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Avon developed their process called calendering , where the fabric was sprayed onto both sides with hypalon rubber ; and then run through rollers , so as to force the rubber into and thru their fabric ;creating a composite. Other manufactures would try to use a heavier / tighter weave fabric and just coat both sides ; thinking that it would be stronger. These were prone to having bubbles appear as the boat aged. Also variations of polyester vs nylon threads were also incorporated by other manufactures . stretch vs. stiffness . I don't think that any tried a rip stop material that was popular for a while in outdoor fabrics. I think that Avon style boats are still available through Zodiac , under the name of Mil-Pro , If you are willing to pay and to wait.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts