·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yo,

Me and my wife have a patent on a man made one of those using a pump to recirculate the water down a ramp like that. We figured you could insert it into a pool or lake and have a hole. We were even thinking you could have two side by side for duel competitions like they have with skiing. It's pretty costly so we figured there wasn't much of a profit with making the thing. We were sort of thinking it would be cool to sell to YMCA's and stuff for the winter time.

Forrest

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How expensive are we talking?!!!!!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
double A! Not you again! Weird-o! You still livin in Cali! Why do you even pay attention to this site? You don't even boat anymore do you. Even when you did boat it really wasn't boating I suppose.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That's pretty sweet. I think every paddler should have one in his backyard :D.

COUNT

·
Registered
169 Posts
Most of these things use hippies to pour water over the spillway/flume thing bucket after bucket. With the right amount of hippie buckets going over consistantly, you get a pretty good surf hole. It just takes a while to train them how to pour to that perfect, consistant quality, but I guess that's what you'd expect from someone you're hiring for a big grab Cheeto's bag a day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
at a boat show in st. louis one time they had a pool with a small drop with lots of water going over it to form a "hole". i looked it up and saw that the entire thing was like 25,000 plus all the electrical power to make it work

·
Registered
8 Posts
I worked as a mechanic at an electric motor shop down in Tuscon for a while. Worked on a lot of heavy-duty pumps for mining operations.

mining operations use massive pumps to keep their holes dry- biggest motor i prepped for a pump installation was 350hp- a lot more power than we'd need. bottom line is that the big challenge with setting one of these up is solved everyday here in a big minig state like CO.

think we could do it with used equipment for a lot less than $25k... picture giant loops in january with no dry top.

question becomes: how much would people fork over to play in an indoor hole/wave in december, january, etc..?

·
Registered
8 Posts
BTW, we could also use a female kayaker or two who look like that austrian chick... you know, just to show us how to work the artificial hole and stuff

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would pay 150 bucks for Nov through March, to go whenver I wanted to go. Just because thats what season passes used to cost back when I still skied.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: We need one of these

The Outside World near Atlanta, GA has one similar in their store, in a small pool. It's a smaller design though.
I asked the people at The Outside World what they had running theirs and they said there were 2 50 HP pumps...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts