Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sad to say we lost Xavier Engle to the river yesterday. I only have a 2nd hand account of what happened at this time but wanted to get the news out to the community as I know many of you were very close to Xavier.

Xavier was an excellent kayaker and an even better person. Xavier had a tremendous amount of respect for the river and loved kayaking. Just last week we spent a few hours hiking in and out of a run he decided was too high and we ended up shouldering our boats for 6 miles. He spent most of that time telling me about becoming a doctor and his plans for the future.

Xavier was an incredibly bright light in every situation and his light will always live on.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Kayaker drowns on Stillaguamish River | The Today File | Seattle Times

·
Registered
294 Posts
RIP Xavier

I had some good trips with Xavier here in Colorado. He was always so solid and positive. We had connections with mutual friends in Alaska, and he will surely be missed! This news just plain sucks!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sad. He seemed like a really good guy when I met him for a Gore run. Sincere condolences to those who were close to him.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Very sad news. Xavier was a great boater and a great guy. First met him on gore. He was looking for beta on harder lines and it became clear that he was great paddler.

Rest in peace Xavier. Sorry to see you depart this world so young.

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
It's been a hard year on boaters, both because of untimely accidents and old age.

I hope they're all out there hitting the water and drinking a beer to celebrate.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I paddled with Xavier a few times while he was living in Colorado. To say he was an excellent boater is an understatement. When I met him he was remarkably skilled and I'm sure he's gotten much better since then, but he never showed any sign of ego. I remember him showing up at Gore in the fall, having just moved to Colorado. He had his bike, guitar, camping gear, and was full of energy, ready to check it all out.

Marshall gives me name credit for an eddy in Pyrite on Gore that I like to catch, but the truth is, I first discovered it when I saw Xavier catch it. He seemed like such a quality guy - bright, friendly, talented and charismatic. What sad and humbling news.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
Very sad news. Seems to be a rough year for losses. Hope his family and friends do ok during the grieving process, my condolences!

·
Registered
494 Posts
This is sad the hear. I had the pleasure of paddling the crystal gorge with Xavier. He was an incredibly nice and energetic person. In my brief interaction with him it was clear how intellegent and driven he was. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. I am sorry for their loss.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I am sad to hear this, Xavier was such an amazing person and paddler.

We got to see him route through the narrows of the poudre over 5'. Good lord that was a sweet day!!! At times the waves peaked so high They were almost level with the road, it was a sight to see.

He is loved, missed, and remembered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts