Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a RPM Max handle a 15 foot drop off a fall into a nice, fairly deep pool or is the lack of any significant stern volume going to be a prob?

I am new to running waterfalls, especially @ this height, and this is a good one to learn on, as there is no dangerous recirculation at the base. I just don't want to piton off the bottom and break my foot brace (or worse - my ankles) because my boat lacked the needed volume.

Any tips before I head out and make a fool of myself?

·
Registered
112 Posts
the RPM is strictly a river running boat and should never be used for waterfall running!! you'll be putting yourself at major risk by attempting such a stunt. just kidding. you should be fine.

but i do recommend the following:

#1 - tell me where this spot is! - he he
#2 - if you do suspect carnage, make sure to shoot vid and post back here.
#3 - read the recent post "why we boof"
#4 - probe the landing pool (rocks?) and boof if necessary

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just remember the RPM is long and pointy. It is made to go THROUGH waves, not so much over them. This means that the boat will go fairly deep into the pool at the bottom of your fall. My advise is to be sure the pool is at least as deep as your bow (measered from the tip to your waist) is long. That way if you do piton you will have been cushioned some and it shouldn't hurt too bad.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If you want to get into creeking I would recommend buying a creek boat. You don't want a tricycle for single track...you want the best tool for the job. Creek boats work better on waterfalls because they are designed for them and are therefore more forgiving. That said the risks of running a waterfall of any size are pretty comparable (you might be fine, get hurt, or die), regardless of the boat you are in. The skill level required is what varies between boats.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cutch said:
If you want to get into creeking I would recommend buying a creek boat.
Not really my thing - not now anyway. This isn't on any steep creek, just a central TX spring fed river. Lots of 72 degree water year round.

Anybody familiar with the San Marcos R. probably knows the waterfall.

I've jumped into the base of the fall from about 20-25 feet up, and the bottom is good (not the first person to test this out BTW).

I sounds like it is deep enough that pitoning might not be an issue. I just haven't taken quite that high a drop yet so I wasn't sure. There is also more than enough water on the lip for the paddle to grab before the boat goes over. Hopefully I find my angle on the first try.

·
Registered
88 Posts
waterfall

Timmay.
went over it in June, several in our group had all types of boats and there was one rmp, no problem, also if Gary E. said its ok, then go for it.
I have read this buzz for years and he is never wrong. I don't know him.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Gary E runs more scary shit than anyone I know. He soloed Bear creek at 600cfs, and was calling people to run Lake creek at 1600. I was shaking driving by it. If Gary peels out of an eddy and yells back, "go for it, you'll be fine" I worry about my sanity. "He's never wrong" if you don't mind running the shit, but I'm not sure he's right in the head. (imho he's one of the elite badasses)

That said, on the 15er you are probably okay. My earlier statement was more of a general creeking statement.

·
Registered
746 Posts
LOL

You kill me Cutch!Hope your back is healing well...
Gary

ps-bear creek at 600?95 was 1100,had help though...Stay tough...

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FYI - this is on a side creek just downstream of the 15 footer . . .best kept secret in TX - hardly anybody knows about it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
"Go for it, you'll be fine." Just don't boof and don't piton, or land on your head. And pray.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Don't over look the 45 degree boof, either, esp. on taller drops that you don't want to land flat. Ditto what Kyle and Gary said.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey is this waterfall by joes crabshack? if so if u are caught then it is at least a 5 day jail trip. ive ran it and been able to run after, but i have seen ppl go to jail for this one... ive ran everything on that river in a jibyears ago. it all good just be careful of the po

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah . . .this one is much taller. It is downstream of the I 35 bridge. There is a channel that leaves the river on the left just after going under 35. A little bit further down the channel rejoins the river; this is where the fall is at. There is actually a city park here that you can drive up to and park to walk to the waterfall. It is really cool looking, almost tropical - if you don't focus on the graffiti.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
overlyworked said:
it all good just be careful of the po
FYI - SMPD is the biggest bunch of hood rats I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I try to avoid them at all costs - I stay away from Joe's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts