Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
..is doing the damn thing
132 Posts
Love em. They rig so good. But they are a little bit of a pain to get allllll the water out of, but still pretty great. I’ve got 4 and 1 half brick

·
My name isn't Will
266 Posts
After looking at several options for large amounts of emergency water storage, my work opted for Water Bricks. Mostly because of how stackable they are and that they are a little easier to carry than five-gallon containers.

I got to check them out when doing a demo of some of our emergency water treatment equipment. Big opening; easy to fill. Handle doesn't seem that beefy, but it's just 3.5 gallons. Nest GREAT. Plastic is perceptibly thinner than the LCI 5-gallon jugs (Scepter).

If you have a big enough cooler and a big enough freezer, you can make a honking big ice cube that won't get your cooler contents wet as it melts.

I still like the LCI jugs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a big fan. They strap perfectly next to the cooler on my raft and are small enough where anyone can carry them. As the trip goes on and the cooler gets emptied I can move them into the cooler to save space.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Big Fan! I've been using the 3 gallon ones for a couple years.
Honestly, kind of surprised these haven't been more popular within the rafting community.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If I put these next to a cooler, then put a table over the cooler and bricks, can my 5 and 3 year old have an epic dance party without crushing them? Can I sit on the table directly over the bricks and not crush them?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I like the water brick but it does not fit in my Canyon 103 cooler. I like to freeze a block of water for ice as well as drinking water for last day on the trip. The ten liter scepter water jugs fit perfectly. What you use depends a lot on how you want to rig. I prefer to have heavy items as low as possible in my boat. When on longer trips I carry two frozen in my cooler with still lots of food/cube ice room. Also room for two unfrozen in front of my cooler, 3 straps and they are not going anywhere. Still plenty of leg room in front. If I had a frame with side boards to mount on I would be more likely go the water bricks.

Attachments

·
..is doing the damn thing
132 Posts
If I put these next to a cooler, then put a table over the cooler and bricks, can my 5 and 3 year old have an epic dance party without crushing them? Can I sit on the table directly over the bricks and not crush them?

Yes. This is how I rig. 2 bricks on each side in an L shape sit flush with the top of my prospector on my 14’ cat and 16’ raft. I then cover w a paco pad, so a table would be no problem.

·
Renaissance *******
1,347 Posts
I built a plywood box that freezes a big block of ice the exact size for the middle section of my cooler. I line it with a turkey roasting bag and pour in a gallon a day until full. The sides are wired at the corners so all I have to do is untwist 4 wires and take the block out the day of the trip. I just use a regular old 5G water jug for drinking water.

·
Registered
172 Posts
2nd on AquaBricks

I have moved to the aqua bricks now. I think they are a little beefier than the waterbricks. In addition to what others have said about rigging into all kinds of nice spots (next to cooler, drop bag, same height as rocket boxes, etc.) and being easy for everyone to carry, they also seal completely. There is no nozzle or vent hole so I feel fine having them in the bottom of the boat where they can get splashed or inundated. No need to stand them up. You can buy a separate nozzle that is cleverly vented internally. In the kitchen, you have a much smaller mass sitting on the table, causing less havoc. There is a whole filter system that integrates with them too. Haven't tried that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks Bighorn. I have the same cooler and have lamented a bit that the Aquabrick/water bricks didn’t fit. I do like the aquabriks as they nest nicely on the sideboard decks.

·
Beater
90 Posts
I have a couple of water bricks (and spigots) that I haven't used yet, but I like the fact they both fit into a rocket box sling.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts