Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a watch for guide school. Nothing fancy, all I require is it tells the time and is waterproof.

What do you use on the river?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
185 Posts
cheapest one at target/amazon that waterproof, normally 30 price range, its going to get thrashed. they will last longer than you think

·
Registered
135 Posts
Get a Bertucci. They have a different design so you will never lose/trash your watch by the little pins pulling out of the bezel. A couple of buddies of mine that guide turned me on to them after I trashed my watch in Hells Canyon this past spring. Mine is rated to 100M. I don't think that is 'water proof' but it has been in the water plenty and I've had no issues.

They are a little more than $30 (REI has some for $60) but worth it IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I picked up an Altiware altimeter watch on Steep and Cheap for $30 about 8 years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
G-shock all the way. They cost a bit (around 80 bucks) but you wont be needing a new watch till you loose it. They are bombproof. If you youtube them there are tons of videos of people just abusing the shit out of them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up an Altiware altimeter watch on Steep and Cheap for $30 about 8 years ago and it's still going strong.

Is Altiware the brand? Not finding much on the web.

If it's Highgear, looks like they don't sell them anymore.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Al Qaeda used them as timers for IED's. A lot of the guys stuck at Guantanamo are there mainly because they were wearing this watch.
I Google this and found info on Wikipedia, but who the hell knows that? I must not follow the news as closely as some. Man I'd hate to not know that if I owned one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
Rolex. Go big or go home.
Or, if you expect to do some flipping and whipping;

CX Swiss Military 20,000 Feet Diver Watch

They swear, good to 20,000 feet under water. Should be able to handle a wash job in Lava I'd think.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rolex. Go big or go home.
Or, if you expect to do some flipping and whipping;

CX Swiss Military 20,000 Feet Diver Watch

They swear, good to 20,000 feet under water. Should be able to handle a wash job in Lava I'd think.

Feel free to send one over. I will put it to good use.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I'm 7 or 8 years into to one of these Timexes:

You can't get them anymore, so I'll have to find something else when it finally dies. It has an alarm for when I guide overnighters and I like being able to take it off the PFD easily - I carry it around when I trip lead to keep shit on time! It freezes in the shed all winter, gets submerged all the time, and was $20.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The g shock is pretty tough, mine has spent a few seasons strapped to different parts of my raft or frame. I dont think I have ever worn it on my wrist. It looks a little worn but functions fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts