Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just and Fyi, here is a warning sent out to our swift water team. The park is truly creating issues for downriver travelers.

"A local very experienced white water boater just alerted me that at current water levels (2800-3000CFS on emma Guage) the new water features have created recirculating waves that can be extremely hazardous. If boaters do not punch through the feature boats are getting stuck in the holes and maytagged. He was thrown from his one man cat oared raft and flushed out by the current, but his boat spun in the hole until a second boat came through the feature and punched it out then rescued him. Because of the change in elevation boaters approaching the hole from upstream cannot see boaters or boats in the holes until they are on top of them. There is little or no access on either side of the features for boaters to exit or rescuers to approach, plus additional rapids immediately below the features. He further stated that he spoke with some experienced kayakers on site who had the same experience. The condition may get worse with rising waters.

Use extreme caution if we get any calls to the new feature. We need to set up a pre plan now."

·
Registered
97 Posts
These photos were taken on Friday 6/9/17. It looks pretty chundery and access looks challenging. While I was there for about 5 minutes I saw two people get tossed from their commercial raft but they were promptly recovered.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Might be a reasonable idea to take more pics/vids at various levels to better clarify preventive modifications and communicate them to those in charge of management.

Hmmmm...which entity manages?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
3 Posts
its not that bad you just go hard river left on both holes and keep paddling ,yes if you do surf in it you will flip slash swim just hold on to your chicken line and let your body drag your raft out ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts