Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been down the Yampa this spring? We're headed out in about a week and none of us have seen Warm Springs since the rock fall much less since this spring's run off. What's it look like these days?
Thanks!
-Lodore

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just took off. Easy enough right line. No flips - all boat skirted Maytag no matter what they did as long as they started right.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never saw that prediction. I assumed the peak was yesterday/today at 14,900. You're right about it being interesting though! At least the water will be moving fast so we can spend a lot of time at the scout. ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Guess we will see you at the scout, Lodore :) We went down last year with the same date put in but looking at close to 3x the volume at this point. Not quite sure what to expect. We launch a week today - 5th, you?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wshutt, we launch the 6th and take out the 10th so likely miss you. Leave us a note at the scout if you can. Good trip!

·
Registered
299 Posts
took off yesterday, so we ran it on the 27th. i think. 14k ish? maytag hole at bottom looked nastier (wider) than i've ever seen it, and there were some bigger waves IN the tongue. i was gripped at the scout, but the run is the same as its ever been.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ran it about a week ago at about 13,000 cfs or so. 5 boats in the group just ahead of us and 5 in our group. No one had any real problems.

The crux is to pull hard to the right to avoid the hole just below the tongue at the entry (it's not nearly as big as Maytag, but could flip a sideways raft). When you get into the slower water on river right (we called it The Bay), you need to stay a boats width or two off the shore to avoid the sharp rocks just upstream form the prominent scout view point not far upstram fromthe Maytag hole. Once you get past this spot a few hard pulls away from the Maytag hole should do it. There are other rocks and a small island to avoid after Maytag, so stay alert all the way to the end.

As our group was saying, get to The Bay and you'll be OK. There is more room and time to move around than you think in Warm Springs; just keep it straight coming out of the Bay so it's less likely you get surfed towards Maytag. Warm Springs will demand your attention, but it's more runnable than it appears during the scout

·
Registered
156 Posts
Here is a quick video we took from the scout last Sunday at approx. 13,000 cfs. There is a big claw-like wave that will definitely flip a raft at the bottom of the wave train in the entrance rapid. Stay right as you enter, making sure to get into the duck pond, to miss this big wave. Float slowly through the duck pond towards river right where there is a small drop. Go over this drop (watch your right oar against the bank) and you should float by Maytag easily. It actually looked pretty boring when we watched our first raft go through. We had eight 14' rafts, one 12' cat, one 16' cat, and three kayakers make it through just fine.

As we were celebrating in the eddy below, we watched a 14' raft hit Maytag and flip, then another 14' raft behind them hit the big wave at the bottom of the entrance rapid wave train and flip. Our group jumped on it and assisted. They were not dressed for a swim and were extremely cold. It's an easy move through the rapid as long as you get set up correctly. As always, things can happen at any second....the water is HIGH right now and there are no eddies past the Warm Springs camp. Swimmers will be in the water for awhile if safety isn't set or you aren't lucky enough to have a group watching from below. Dress to swim.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sagebrusher, Where did you get that graph? Can i get the link
It's the National Weather Service river forecast for the Yampa at Deerlodge...

National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

More rivers in the region...

Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Grand Junction

The Little Snake is contributing a great deal to the flow, it joins the Yampa just a few miles upstream of Deerlodge (near exit of Cross Mtn Gorge)

PS thanks for the video Summitraftgirl!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all the info, guys! Always nice to have as much as possible when you're facing a dangerous situation. Looks like it's 16,800 today. I never thought I would say this, but I hope it's peaked! ;)
Launch on the 6th and update when I get back.
-Lodore

·
Registered
358 Posts
Still going down. Have a great trip Lodore, too bad we won't see you but I'm guessing you will be a day behind the whole way. The crew is assembling in central Idaho, heading for Pocatello this pm then on from there. IT'S STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A RIVER TRIP :D Have fun and be safe. Thanks to everyone for the info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts