Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just managed to rip both my wrist gaskets on my drysuit...the result of probably not having lubricated them in awhile!

In a way, it's a blessing, as I never did like drinking water with it on! (as I never did like having to take it off to "make a call!")

Now, I am wondering what to wear (top) that will keep me warm on CO rivers. I am trying to me very budget-minded and conservative at this time (hence, a goretex drytop is not an option now).

I have Wyoming Wear Splashgear pants that are very warm.

Does anyone know if any of those new rashguard, skin, etc. tops are really warm? Have any other suggestions/recommendations? I am hoping to find something that I can wear without a drytop.

I don't expect to be swimming but I know it's best to be prepared for the worst... thus, the warmer, the better.

Thanks and happy paddling,
Annie

·
Registered
374 Posts
Use 303 protectant, available at most paddle shops... Anne, you need a drytop, buy it used.

Steve.

·
Registered
67 Posts
On warm day I paddle with a Wyoming Wear fleece lined rubber top. It's very warm, more comfortable then a dry top and when I get to hot I just roll to let some cold water in. Wyoming Wear does not make it anymore but NRS mystery tops are very similar.

The hydoskin and other neoprene tops are warm under paddle jackets but can be very cold on their own because of evaporation. My girlfriend got mild hypothermia on an 80+ degree day when she paddled the ark with just hydro skin.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Get a drytop, use 303 for gasket lube.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might consider replacing the gaskets or having them replaced if you like the dry suit. Even paying someone to do it would probably be cheaper than buying a drytop.

I once replaced my drytop gasket and it came out real ugly, but it keeps the water out. Then I bought 303, which I think I've actually used once or twice in my life. I am careful about concealing the gaskets from the sun whenever I hang my drytop out to dry, for whatever that's worth. If you want to replace them yourself, you should be able to find lots of discussion on how to do it here.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It it's a Stohlquist suit then they will repair it for a pretty low price. And its professional grade. CKS will also do it for $45.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It it's a Stohlquist suit then they will repair it for a pretty low price. And its professional grade. CKS will also do it for $45.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts