Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Buzzards, I know this is a long shot but, I'm on a March 2015 21-day Grand Canyon trip - non-motorized. This is my second trip down the ditch and may be my last (one never knows) I am scheduled to take my 16 ft. cat but got to thinking that at least once I would li8ke to row a dory. I'm an experienced dory driver, mostly in class III or below but a seasoned hand on the water. I built and row a wood 16" fishing dory here in Colorado. Does anybody know of anyone who rents Grand Canyon white water dories? I'm a skilled woodworker if anyone has one that needs some TLC or just has one that isn't seeing any use. Hit me up if you have any ideas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Brady, the owner at Moenkopi RiverWorks used to have one available to rent but no one wanted to use it so he sold it. He informed me two weeks ago that he is working on two more aluminum dories that he will rent. Not sure if he will have one finished in time for your trip, but it's worth asking. I would also recommend them as an outfitter for your trip.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cookie. +1 on Brady. I used him on our first trip and he did great. Talked to him this morning and it's a possibility but he doesn't know if he will be done by then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interested

Once you find and get through, let me know, I am interested to buy one, and maybe Gods are good- do it like you are planning- to run the Grand with it. Also, just in case, if you have a spot available take me and my wife, We will have all gear! I did through Maenkopi in 2014 (rented raft). I can carry gear, row and more, I have done lots of rivers up North (expeditions)...Raimond

·
Registered
4 Posts
just an idea for Dorry

I just wrote you, but here is my second thought. I would like to make you a proposal.: I buy a boat, you use it, but we go on the trip with you; two people, my wife and me. At the end we keep the boat. Raimond.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey J, have built a full sized replica of a 1950's Grand Canyon Dory, have taken it through Grand Canyon 6 times now with only three (upr) flips and one book about it (Big Water Little Boats). My question to you is, why not take your open boat? Put flotation in it front and back. It has been done before! Just a thought, and whatever you end up doing, have a GREAT trip! Yours, tom

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you considered decking your fishing dory? I bet you could add watertight compartments while still maintaining the utility of a traditional fishing drift boat. If it has the right dimensions (not a skiff or low freeboard boat), it could make a fine grand canyon dory.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everybody. Here is a link to my dory pics. Mountain Buzz - jgrebe's Album: Home built dory

I think the geometry is good for a WW boat but it's pretty light construction (1/8" ply on sides) and not as big as the typical GC dories I've seen. Worth considering. Yeah Tom I've seen your boats and books. Very impressive.

I have called OARS but not AZRA thanks I will. And Fish I will contact you off post. Thanks again everybody

1 - 11 of 11 Posts