Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You are mostly correct richp. But how is easier/instant access to unlimited guns and ammunition going to fix the problems inherent to poverty and ghettoes in America; and, crime that spills out to adjacent communities?

Just an example, in early college in Atlanta I worked in a suburban gas station in a mostly middle class transitioning neighborhood. The three times I got robbed at gun point was no fun. Learning to say "Yes Sir" was instantaneous. Police follow-up determined that culprits' were from the type of problem areas we are discussing. Hence, I'm not a fan of guns. BTW, I got a job as lab assistant instructor as fast as I could. Just wondering, has anyone else on this thread been robbed three times at gun point?

The original topic was voter supression but the link that initiated this thread is dead. How did it so quickly sidetrack to gun access?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I see how this got side track by NRA enthusiast now. "ID" laws and the hypocrisy of requiring an ID to buy a gun but not to vote..

To my knowledge, when you register to vote you must have a valid address or prove that you live in a specific voting district. (don't know how homelessness works)

So let me flip the question, in order to get a valid ID why not require that you must first be registered to vote? Problem solved. But of course that is not likely to fly with certain people because the whole idea of a valid ID is another level of voter suppression. Fact of the matter, the voting process every two or four years is a higher level of official validation of existence than any transient ID. In high school there were people that had fake ID's saying they were old enough to buy alcohol. Hence if you are registered to vote, you can get a valid ID and also buy a gun or ammunition.

The "challenge" for certain types of people is that their data and understandings are flawed. Built into the voting process are so many checks and validations to prevent fraud that fraud is almost impossible. So infrequent is it that a hand picked trump presidential commission established to prove rampant fraud "miraculously disappeared" after having spent millions of dollars and finding nothing to report. Poof! Nothing! Gone with no fanfare.

Consider this election, certain people flogged the data without mercy(mercilously?) to find evidence of voter fraud. Evidence that was found was laughed out of court especially after lawyer were asked if they were alleging fraud and had to answer "no" so as not to lose their license to practice law for lying.

Certain people are always trying to suppress the vote of the less powerful of other persuasions and belief systems. Either by Gerrymandering or forcing them to walk 20 miles to cast their ballot.

Our system here in Colorado is easy and has the highest levels of security possible. It is called mail in voting with options to do it in person if you like. Of course, certain people will never make voting easier since their real objective is to suppress the vote except for their constituent's.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
But I have to add that I continue to be amazed some people think that the existence of a freestanding law against carrying a gun would somehow influence an individual bent on carrying out a violent firearm crime like murder.

Rich
Absolutely, it's been proven in the UK and AU that if you disarm the legitimate citizens, then only the criminals will have guns. And it's sort of a moot point anyway, with people 3D printing actual firearms these days, they will just become more prolific, on and on ad infinitum.

Seems this thread sorta got hijacked LOL.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
Absolutely, it's been proven in the UK and AU that if you disarm the legitimate citizens, then only the criminals will have guns. And it's sort of a moot point anyway, with people 3D printing actual firearms these days, they will just become more prolific, on and on ad infinitum.

Seems this thread sorta got hijacked LOL.
Yet somehow gun crime and gun-related homiciide in the UK and AU are virtually non-existent.

Reactions: GeoRon

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Yet somehow gun crime and gun-related homiciide in the UK and AU are virtually non-existent.
Here's an interesting read on exactly that topic

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Marshall, just to be fair.

Please share your preferred solution to access to guns? My understanding of your preference is a vendor pushing a cart thru neighborhoods chanting "guns, guns, ammo; for sale!, cheap, supply unlimited, buy now" My vision on that is a follow up cart chanting "bring out your dead, bring out your suicides, bring out your spouse and children and parents!"

The NRA's interest is to sell guns and it doesn't give a shit regarding the consequences. Just saying.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's BS plain and simple. The proposed legislation includes registration (you know, like our cars and trailers), safe storage, and tightening oversight of gun and ammo dealers (like maybe so any crazed idiot can't get 3,000 rounds of armor piercing ammo off the interwebs). Nothing about confiscation.

And... this has absolutely zero chance of passing even a Democratic-controlled House and Senate.
As of 01/12/2021 text has not been received for H.R.127 - To provide for the licensing of firearm and ammunition possession and the registration of firearms, and to prohibit the possession of certain ammunition. To say that it is total BS, or that a democrat controlled government would not pass it is a little premature. Let's wait and see what the text of the legislation says about all matters guns and ammo. Also, federal gun registration is the first step to confiscation. You have to know who has them before you can take them. Biden has already stated he is coming to get the semi-auto guns.

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
As of 01/12/2021 text has not been received for H.R.127 - To provide for the licensing of firearm and ammunition possession and the registration of firearms, and to prohibit the possession of certain ammunition. ... Let's wait and see what the text of the legislation says about all matters guns and ammo....
So why did you say that gun confiscation is part of the legislation?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts