Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
volunteer

If you're looking to actually help fight the fires I believe you're out of luck unless you carry a current red card. Just like structure firefighters, wildland firefighters are trained folks who have been instructed in courses and passes a physical fitness exam. Otherwise I'd suggest contacting the local American Red Cross chapter or possibly the humane society.

Matt

·
White R. BC
323 Posts
Sometimes they, might try Forest Service, can use drivers or help at base or staging areas. Give it a try. Like Tenn said, you need quals for the fireline even though it is mostly grunt work.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The Red Cross provides food, shelter, and supplies, and always looks for volunteers.

For actual fire fighting, there are 2 classed required for entry level work: S130 and S190, together they are about 40 hours. The fitness tests is a breeze; walk 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45lb pack.....

Call a local forest service office and ask about being an 'AD' firefighter. They will provide the training (free) and you will be able to be called as needed. They pay a straight rate on fires (about $17/hour with no Overtime) and you can easily get 13-16 hours a day. All expenses are paid. I went this route 15 years ago and it paid off down the road........

Sometimes city/county departments will also provide training as well. Once you are called out you can expect to spend up to 14 days straight working. On a year like this it can be a great deal. I paid for college for many years doing this.

Good luck.

-sn

1 - 4 of 4 Posts