Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to catch Lower Anthracite one last time but need visual info on how much is coming in from Muddy Creek so I can guage if the run has enough water still. Guage is 1100 at somerset, so I need about 600-700 of that to be Anthracite. Any kayakers in the Paonia area, could you give it a look. thanks 497-6512

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
you can find a gauge for Muddy below Paonia Res here, and gauges for it both above and below P Res are on dwr.state.co.us. If I read it right (and I'd like to think I am) then it shows about 200 cfs in Muddy.

Muddy Creek drains a lower-elevation, south-facing basin. It flows earlier than many other CO basins and streams and at this point in the year I would guess that a real good chunk of that 1100 is coming from Anthracite, which is much higher elevation, and has a large north facing basin, which is also prone to reliable, concentrated snowpack. I would be very surprised if there was anything less than 800-900 in Anthracite.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank-you yeti for yet another valuable piece of info that I will put into my chart system. I never knew that site was around, usually USGS gives me all the info I need. Anyway I'm sure you are your estimate is pretty close so I'll go with it. And by the way I also own a Sevylor, but don't use it much, cause my tomcat is decked-out with footpegs and thighstraps for bigger water. Your welcome to the Sevy if you need to borrow a boat, if you have time for a run when you come home. Thanks again.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
What kind of Sevy? I may take you up on that. I can bring my breakdown with me (fits nicely in my suitcase) and borrow a pfd from a buddy, so all I would need is a boat. It would be really sweet to boat with you and shoot some shit while I am home, I definitely want to meet you and swap some stories.

Colorado Division of Water Resources is the best resource for flows in CO I think, just because it pulls together gages from so many places (USGS, weather, dwr, etc) and puts them in one easy to navigate site. of course it always helps to reference with any other sites and info you can get your hands on but for a one stop shop it is my favorite go-to!

post a TR for Anthracite if you go. Love that run and would love to hear how it goes!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not real sure on model, something like Xds 100 sport, Bright yellow, black lettering, about 9' long, nice highback black seat, but poor drain holes, holds water and you actual sit in water alot. Bought it new in 2010 for $400 to run real technical shit like upper, upper Taylor. The tomcat is just not quick enough, I often crash on Toilet bowl and Tombstone cause I just can't make the move quick enough, so I knew I didn,t stand a chance on Lottis, Check Damn Hell, or Tods Slot unless I had a smaller more responsive boat. I only use it about 2times a year.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
solid. that is the exact same boat i own. i would love to go paddling with you. I'll PM you when i get into town so we can exchange some contact info!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Was hoping to catch Lower Anthracite one last time but need visual info on how much is coming in from Muddy Creek so I can guage if the run has enough water still. Guage is 1100 at somerset, so I need about 600-700 of that to be Anthracite. Any kayakers in the Paonia area, could you give it a look. thanks 497-6512
Are you talking about Dark Canyon->Ericson? Or lower?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts