Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to fire up the Virgin river this spring, who's in? what is the best time to expect it to run? any beta about zion narrows, temple of sinawava and LDS falls would be much appriciated. Thanks!

·
addict
739 Posts
bob, casey tango here. i did the narrows & temple runs last year, and scouted LDS falls. looked a little low to drop. temple run has better rapids and is a little harder than the narrows, and is logistically much easier, but short. the narrows is slow moving until the deep creek confluence, full of wood, but well worth it as an overnighter. the waterfall goes even at very low flow.

i'm in AZ and will be on the Salt for the next couple months. might be able to make it into utah to fire some stuff off.

hit me up.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'd love to fire up the Virgin river this spring, who's in? what is the best time to expect it to run? any beta about zion narrows, temple of sinawava and LDS falls would be much appriciated. Thanks!
FB, I looked at yer profile and yer obviously qualified to run it. So this isn't directed at you.

People, please don't run the Narrows if yer a class 3 boater who sometimes misses yer roll. I drove all the way over there last season (from BV) only to find the Narrows "closed" to boating cuz of some helicopter rescues of folks who treated the class "3" boating the same as a roadside run. If yer swimming and losing gear in there yer going to screw it up for everybody else. We *really* don't need to give them another season like last year. I would guess that long term access is at risk judging from their response last season.

Phil

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm in...and looking for partners! I'll be watching the flows close and ready to drive out. I REALLY want to get this one done this year. I'll be in Zion next week but I'd guess that will be to early for a run.

How's the snowpack up there this year? Is the road open yet?
Any locals knowledge would be great!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope you drove all the way from Maine you sack of shit.

FB, I looked at yer profile and yer obviously qualified to run it. So this isn't directed at you.

People, please don't run the Narrows if yer a class 3 boater who sometimes misses yer roll. I drove all the way over there last season (from BV) only to find the Narrows "closed" to boating cuz of some helicopter rescues of folks who treated the class "3" boating the same as a roadside run. If yer swimming and losing gear in there yer going to screw it up for everybody else. We *really* don't need to give them another season like last year. I would guess that long term access is at risk judging from their response last season.

Phil

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Virgin river snowpack is about 150% of avg, good news for zion boaters. When I looked at flows in the past it looked like late april / early May was the typical flow time.

If you want to see zion narrows but the whitewater is either too hard or too mellow for you... consider doing a fall backpacking trip. Its an awesome adventure.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I hope you drove all the way from Maine you sack of shit.
Curtis,

So nice to read such an endearing post on my first visit to the Buzz this morning. Apparently you read like you paddle. My post clearly states I drove from BV. That's in CO. I know, far away from yer groovey Boulder. Sorry to touch on what is clearly a personal problem for you but maybe this year you could avoid swimming the Narrows and screwing it up for the rest of us. Maybe you could also grow up enough to at least act like an adult in public.
Later Puppy,

Phil

·
Registered
342 Posts
mod edit

Curtis,

So nice to read such an endearing post on my first visit to the Buzz this morning. Apparently you read like you paddle. My post clearly states I drove from BV. That's in CO. I know, far away from yer groovey Boulder. Sorry to touch on what is clearly a personal problem for you but maybe this year you could avoid swimming the Narrows and screwing it up for the rest of us. Maybe you could also grow up enough to at least act like an adult in public.
Later Puppy,

Phil

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you don't want to find yourself in a fight on the river "brother" you better shut the hell up. I want to live in peace, but I won't be harassed for something that happened a year ago. LET IT GO!

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you don't want to find yourself in a fight on the river "brother" you better shut the hell up. I want to live in peace, but I won't be harassed for something that happened a year ago. LET IT GO!
That's funny all you would have to do to avoid a fight on the river with you is run a class III rapid and watch you swim by.

In seriousness I don't think Phil's post was attacking you, it was more of a warning to people to read what happened last year to avoid the same situations to try to keep from having the parks shut the run down for good.

Flame on.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do you know me personally? No, you don't. Therefore you have absolutely no idea what boating skills are like. Stay out of it.

That's funny all you would have to do to avoid a fight on the river with you is run a class III rapid and watch you swim by.

In seriousness I don't think Phil's post was attacking you, it was more of a warning to people to read what happened last year to avoid the same situations to try to keep from having the parks shut the run down for good.

Flame on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
3 things:

1.) You weren't the only dude who epiced in the Zion Narrows last year so Phil probably wasn't attacking you personally. (Weren't there 3+ people benighted and one was extracted by heli?)

2.) Phil is posting the warning that should have been posted last year at this time (although to be fair he should probably blame the sandbagging guidebook.)

3.) I'm so glad this subject is back on the front page and you have returned to defend yourself. Looking forward to a day of entertainment. This must mean kayak season is nigh.

Carry on.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've been trying to let it go, but Evan and I are still waiting for an apology after you called us arrogant sandbaggers because you swam. Contrary to basic survivalist skills you chose to sit and wait after losing your boat, instead of walking, wading, and occasionally swimming (w/ the help of your paddling partners boats) the rest of the way out of the canyon, which would have avoided a cold overnight situtation, a helicopter rescue, and a park service that is questioning the paddling community.

Do you know me personally? No, you don't. Therefore you have absolutely no idea what boating skills are like. Stay out of it.
If you swim on a class III run, people are going to assume you are a class III boater. If you occasionally paddle "class III-IV" rivers, and you sneak or portage most or all of the IV's, then you still might be a class III paddler. You may be a class IV paddler that just had a bad day, and that's okay because it falls under the line of personal responsibility (we've all been there). Having a bad day and then claiming the run is overrated is weak, and in this case, false.

The Zion Narrows is an amazing run. High on the list if it lines up with a good weekend trip, and to combine it with a day on Timpoweap. Excited that the region has good snowpack and I look forward to getting in there with a fun crew this year.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
3 things:

1.) You weren't the only dude who epiced in the Zion Narrows last year so Phil probably wasn't attacking you personally. (Weren't there 3+ people benighted and one was extracted by heli?)

2.) Phil is posting the warning that should have been posted last year at this time

Carry on.
x2..

Also Phil is a stand up guy and I did not see that he was attacking you.

I dont know what went down in there last year and could care less but after reading this. Well Phil's heads up was a good idea.

cmartin if you want to "just let this go" I dont think face rearrangement is the best way..

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Almost an entire year has passed and this is how far we've come?

Honestly, the novelty of this subject has kind of worn on me. Like can we put cemartin in some new places with some new zany characters? How about cemartin runs the Foxton narrows with Paris Hilton's dog? Having read the eddyflower description of the Foxton run, cemartin concludes this is an excellent place for a moderate class III trip. What the arrogant eddyflower sandbaggers failed to mention was that the riverbed was littered with rocks. After flipping and hitting his head on one especially firm rock (not even shown in the photos section), cemartin is forced to swim and abandon all his gear. Left with no recourse but to wait for a ride back to the put-in, he sits by the road waiting for a car to arrive. After almost an hour with no relief in site, he has no choice but to eat Paris' dog to survive. He endures a restless night in a dirt pulloff until he is rescued by a small band of Foxton villagers who take him in and raise them as his own...

Something along those lines would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts