Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Viking brand (Ragasco) propane tanks?

I'm looking to upgrade my 10lb steel ones with something lighter weight and translucent.

Picture 2.png

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm not going down that rabbit hole again anytime soon after loosing my ass on the lite cylinder blow out. I had four of those stupid tanks. Gerrrrrrr.
Hope these turn out better.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have an 18 lb and I like it very much. It is lighter and has softer edges. You can also see the propane inside so you know how much is left.

Jim

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I went with the 17lb tank. Cheaper and not much larger. I also got screwed with the lite cylinders but realize these are a better design as there is no gluing

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had a Ragasco for several years. No problems. Some folks are afraid to fill them because of the lite cylinder recall. Just take a copy of the recall paper work in case there is ever a problem. No problem when I show them the recall was just for lite cylinder tanks, not all composite tanks.

Ragasco:
Hexagon Ragasco - Unrivalled safety and unmatched performance
Recall:
PHMSA - Home - PHMSA Orders Recall of Cylinders Manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company

other threads:
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f42/fiberglass-see-thru-propane-tank-issues-51584-2.html
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/lite-propane-cylinder-recall-48198.html

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have a 10lb aluminum tank. It is only 4lbs lighter. I'm all for saving weight but $60+ to save 4 lbs seems excessive.
Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on a lighter flyrod or thousands on a lighter boat?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
17# ragasco for me and I love it. I got burned with 2 lites myself. I want to see how much is left because I sometimes can get two trips out of a tank and save myself a trip to the gas station

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
I have two. The 11lb and a 17lb. No problems at all. While the weight and soft edges are nice. I love, love, love the visual confirmation of remaining fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on a lighter flyrod or thousands on a lighter boat?
I can answer the fly rod question and will assume your question is legit. It is like having you oars properly counter balanced, takes less effort. Plus they are stronger and cast further.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I can answer the fly rod question and will assume your question is legit. It is like having you oars properly counter balanced, takes less effort. Plus they are stronger and cast further.
I was making a rhetorical argument. to me, $60 is a small price to pay for 1) a tank that weights about as much filled as a steel tank does empty
2) that won't gouge and scratch everything it comes in contact with (drybox, frame, drybags, etc)
3) if you crash into it you probably wont' get concussed.
4) and I can have a good idea how much fluid is remaining at all times without having to look for condensation marks or have to weigh it ...

I've never seen an aluminum tank in person otherwise I may have considered one. However they are probably priced more closer to the plastic ones than to the steel ones.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have the 17lb and really like it.. the gridded plastic that you see that wraps around it is great.. you can slide a cam strap through it and use it to lash the tank on it's side to the side rail with no chance of it falling off in a flip.. and of course knowing how much you have left all the time is great... a few people will give you problems with filling it but once you find someone who will your fine..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Small tanks

I have a Hex Ragasco and love it for multi day bigger trips... for packing lite and going small I just ordered a 1 lb aluminum tank... not sure what
kind of usage I can squeeze out of it, bit it'll be fun to see...

1 Pound LP Cylinder Bottle at PumpBiz.com

wanted something refillable to replace the Coleman disposables... if it's good, may get a second one...$35 any one know of any other small aluminum manufactures? DRE used to carry something, but haven't seen it on their site in awhile...

·
Registered
207 Posts
How long are they good for before needing a hydro test?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hydro

They do not need hydro testing - they (Ragasco) got a DOT exemption that allows for "visual inspection". All this info is available on Ragasco's website.

I have had one for over a decade and love it. It had been sitting in a warehouse for a couple years apparently, and needed re-cert a couple years after I got it. None of the propane dealers would touch it so I ended up contacting Ragasco directly and they told me they had just gotten the exemption.

I printed it all out and took the paperwork to the propane place. They looked the tank over, etched a new date on the plastic handle and filled it no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
I have a Hex Ragasco and love it for multi day bigger trips... for packing lite and going small I just ordered a 1 lb aluminum tank... not sure what
kind of usage I can squeeze out of it, bit it'll be fun to see...

If I remember correctly 1lb of LP will produce 21,400 btu's.
Which should be good for 2+ hours of a 10,000 btu burner on high 4+ hours of normal cooking temps I would bet. If I'm cooking for a group of 12 or so on a 4 burner stove, breakfast and dinner I plan on 2# per day. Please post how is does for you along with how many you cooked for and what you cooked. I'm curious.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts