1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Taos Lower Box is very dependent on river flow

Not much action around and below a thousand CFS,
Picks up a bit after 1500
Begins to rock at 2000
At 2500 and above the last couple miles area known as Rock Garden is constant class 4, pretty much gonna keep your fun meter pegged for most of us either in a kayak or a raft.

Come back and run the Lower Box when it is cooking above 2500 cfs and get your money's worth

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I'd like to do it, but since I usually have kids along, it's nice to know the reality of the situation.

·
Abron Cabron
612 Posts
Cool video...thanks for posting it.

I have to ask, were any of those actually class IV???
It is a cool Video, Nice to see POV and a little positive rep for my Company!(not actually mine, but 11years guiding...that i remember most of...) any way Thanks for posting it! I will forward it to the guide Artie D... and the Jefe at SFR.

As for the rapids, although it is cool editing, the video actually only shows (from what I can tell watching it once) Yellow banks and a lot of the playground. so its fair to say there is some other exciting stuff in there not seen in the Vid.

The box is basically 10-12 miles of pool drop II-III, with @ 4 of the last 6 miles mostly continuous (for NM) IV.
It all depends who you ask. Some paddlers sandbag it as class III, (it IS for 2/3 of the run) and there is a nasty Sieve at lower water in the Rockgarden which is (IMHO) Class V consequence in class IV rapid... not a good place to be out of a boat...

The rapids are: Ski Jump III+;Highbridge or Trash rapid II-III; Yellow Banks III-IV; Playground II; dead car III-IV; Lower Powerline falls IV-; Pinball- Rockgarden IV; Cathy's Cleaver/BoatReamer III-IV; Screaming Left/Rio Bravo/Screaming Right IV; and Sunset rapid at the confluence of the Rio Pueblo IV;
so there you go. If class V is what you are seeking in NM, theres always the UTB... but then you 'd prolly already know about it without me yapping :rolleyes::mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts