Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally finished my Grand Canyon documentary, and it is online! https://vimeo.com/101371308

For some background, it covers the solo experience I had while kayaking the Grand Canyon of the Colorado for 27 days, alone, in January of this year.

Canoe & Kayak also had a bit about my trip in their magazine this month: Grand Canyon Alone | Canoe & Kayak Magazine

Thanks again to Bruce Cline, Robb Goodell, Tom Martin, and Harlan Taney for graciously allowing me to interview them for the film.

Enjoy, and get out there on the river.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice! Brings back memories of my one 3-day solo I did on an Outward Bound trip decades ago. There really is something unique about going solo in the wilderness, and the self-reliance it engenders.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The perfect documentary. And we get philosophy to boot! Outstanding paddling skills, and excellent job of keeping the GoPro steady. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That came together very well John. Nice job! You might be glad to know the tammy log you used to climb up into silver grotto was still there in mid-June. Not sure it'll survive to monsoon, but I scurried up it as well. Very cool movie!

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Awesome, awesome. I love soloing things, but this is the mack daddy. I don't remember the last time I watched a 26 minute video, self produced but I enjoyed every minute.
You are a great story teller, I hope you get to continue. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Oh I must warch this as Robb is a friend of mine :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
52 Posts
Awesome!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching your video....the narration, video footage and music all came together very well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for all the support everyone. I think a lot of the time spent filming and editing seemed like it was the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish in this film - slaving away in front of a computer instead of spending more time on the water, but it's good to know it inspires and brings back memories. I may try to pursue filming/documentaries a little more seriously, so keep an eye out.

Loved your film! Do you see your self doing more long GC kayak self supports solo?
I definitely crave it now. You don't get the same experience with other people, which isn't to say one is better than the other, but the feeling of having so much freedom in such a magnificent place is pretty unique. I think next time I go down I want it to be with friends and family so I don't feel selfish, keeping the experience to myself, but would certainly go back alone in a heartbeat. Not only the Grand Canyon though, there's something special about wilderness time spent alone. It engenders a lot of introspection and soul searching that doesn't happen in the bustle of normal life.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts