Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was previously some debate as to the validity of Cheeseman Canyon on this forum. Many names were called but no proof was ever presented. Well here is the proof that Cheeseman does not suck Colorado Kayaking :: Colorado's online river guide and journal for whitewater kayaking

I put this short write up and video together to not only show that this canyon is the goods but also to help highlight the access situation. It is dicey at best but you can run the canyon legally and without getting busted if you follow some simple rules and don't stop to talk to the sheriff.

If you can't read like lotsa, or you just don't want to, here is a direct link to the video
http://www.thrillheadcreations.com/Cheeseman768K_Stream001.mov

·
Registered
463 Posts
some??? with the exception of the slot move in burmese punji stick the run is awesome.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Wow! Top notch video and pics. That pin was a "caught on tape" winner for sure! Slide for life looks super fun.

You have convinced me that it doesn't suck. Too bad I suck too much to run it!

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Nice! Definitely doesn't look like it sucks. Or maybe it's just sik trick photography from The Body and Ellis. Great footy boys. Great editing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You'll never see me in there, but way to get it! Keep our end o' the bargan, true!! Thanks for the viewing pleasure...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Proof that with a dope soundtrack and good editing Cheeseman does not look like it sucks...

...naw...killer video...I like the connection to the guidebook...keep that coming...also props once again to Tim Kelly for his hard work over the years in Cheeseman. I think he moved away(?) but he carried a lot of weight on that issue a few years ago.

...still not going back...

·
Registered
745 Posts
LOL, god that runs does suck, if you're following the beav. What the hell was he doing? And the gaper in the pink helmet? Jesus, how did he make it to the bottom? Cheese is the shit in CO.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We all know slides suck. But I guess the boof has come and gone too.

I guess in RC the stern squirt is trendy again. So hard to keep up with the times.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice coverage

First, what was the level, and on what gauge specifically, as I know there are a few.

Second, what level do you think Cheeseman will be at around mid August? Any South Platee updates would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks

It probably won't run again this year. It rarely runs. I was told we had around 300 cfs.
Thanks for the info. Maybe some other time.

Kirk

p.s.

what is the lowest on the Animas gauge you can run Pandoras Box?

Been trying to find that out. I heard around 600 cfs, but wonder if it can go lower, as I know it is "channelized" in there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
the guage is South Platte at Lake George. Don't look at the guage above cheesman lake. That doesn't tell you anything about the flow of the run. I also would not expect it to run again, but you never know. I'm sure you could scrape down it at the current level with some portaging, but it's probably not recommended (NR as kyle would put it)

Nick

·
Registered
745 Posts
Imagine how forrest felt putting that helmet on above cheeseman. Good thing he is a stud. I guess it's better than his home made green no coverage penis helmet.

Love the vid and nice work to the folks sacin up and following the beav.

My favorite part is when the officer said "whos your leader" LMAO! You know it's gonna be a shit show when the beav is leading, never a dull day.

Miss boating with you scrubs and the great stuff we have in CO.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I need to speak with your leader." Leif force almost got jacked as he was in front and pulling into the eddy to talk to the officer when he saw Gordon silently charge passed him. Luckily he immediately did a little 360 spin right back into the line of paddlers moving quickly under the bridge. Classic.

If you like this video look for more action coming soon from this little collaboration between Whitewater of the Southern Rockies and Thrillhead Creations. The Body and Stonehenge have been working hard to capture this footage for your viewing pleasure. Hiking deep into the canyons and going on minimal beta. "Go for about a mile or two and you should be near the river, but you won't be able to see it. You should be able to just sense the gorge and ensuing waterfall. If the trail gets flat you went to far." And then there they are ready to rumble as we come through without eddying.

If you want to check out more of their work, as they mainly focus on backcountry ski action check out their website here Thrillhead Creations

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I ran Panda's at 600ish in town this spring. It was fine, but not easy. The sieve/sieves in Swollen Member become more prominent, and on one of the last drops we ran left, and it's an ugly, deep hole. It was still sick and well worth it though. I'd be hesitant to go in lower than 500, but it might still be good. Test it on the way down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice vid Evan

Good paddling with you boys out there... we're all back in the southeast now, with not a drop to paddle on haha

Nathan

There was previously some debate as to the validity of Cheeseman Canyon on this forum. Many names were called but no proof was ever presented. Well here is the proof that Cheeseman does not suck Colorado Kayaking :: Colorado's online river guide and journal for whitewater kayaking

I put this short write up and video together to not only show that this canyon is the goods but also to help highlight the access situation. It is dicey at best but you can run the canyon legally and without getting busted if you follow some simple rules and don't stop to talk to the sheriff.

If you can't read like lotsa, or you just don't want to, here is a direct link to the video
http://www.thrillheadcreations.com/Cheeseman768K_Stream001.mov

1 - 20 of 20 Posts