Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planning on going down The verde tomorrow/live in the area? thinking all this rain might make it runnable? I've never been down but was hoping I could get a few people to run it with

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm definitely keeping a close eye on the gauges. Predicting when/where the rivers will run here can be tricky. The Verde often takes an extra 24 hours after things start flowing and it didn't rain much yesterday. Hopefully something will be boatable tomorrow, but my guess for the Verde is Wed unless it really unleashes on us today, all day. Cummon Norbert, you can do it!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be good with Wednesday. I have a truck and can help run shuttle. ... if the verde is running. 14' cat

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Close enough that I am curious for future options....how much debris do the flood runs kick up? I have always strayed from getting excited about monsoon runs because in Utah the debris issue can be epic. How is the Verde in this regard? Would love to keep it on my radar if local advice is solid (just far enough away that I can't afford gas $$ for a bust).

Phillip

·
Registered
3 Posts
With how much rain we got in Phoenix this morning, over 5" in some areas, I am truly suprised that the Verde and other runs are not boatable yet! Maybe they will come up tomorrow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
With how much rain we got in Phoenix this morning, over 5" in some areas, I am truly suprised that the Verde and other runs are not boatable yet! Maybe they will come up tomorrow.
Not much rain up here on the watershed and no big response in any of the tributaries to what rain we did receive last night/early a.m.

·
Registered
178 Posts
14' cat may be hard to get in/out unless it goes huge. Keep your eyes on the tondo and salt gauges. Hopefully the verde, but I'm doubtful. Not too much rain in FLG, mostly south. I have my eyes on the gauges and my boat/gear packed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Chasing Monsoons

I like to try and catch local rivers and streams during the monsoon season and recently ran into this website from the NOAA. The data is too new to me to be able to correlate well to equivalent runoff, but it is the coolest data I've seen for trying to predict flow intensity and duration in a runoff basin.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge2/RFC_Precip/

Looking at the last 1-3 days the intense rain has all been near or south of Pheonix - so where that drains to is where the flow will be peaking - the drainage basin for the Verde has gotten some consistent rain, but not heavy rain. That opinion based entirely upon the data at the NOAA website, I'm just assuming it's reasonably accurate. I like it - easy to use, awesome data!

·
Registered
426 Posts
14' Cat isn't really the craft of choice for the Verd. Most folks paddle kayaks and IKs. Obviously if it's really high larger rafts are fine, but unless you want to float to Childs (really long rough shuttle), Gap Creek is the take out. The Beasley-Gap section is the best WW run but requires a 1/2 mile up hill hike to the parking area. Since it didn't rain yesterday or today up in N AZ I don't think the Verde will go this time around. The Agua Fria did run today, but since it was dry up here I was late on checking the flow. Doubt it'll stay in for tomorrow, but I will check early tomorrow on that. As for DEBRIS, the Verde has lots of steep tribs that catch most of the wood before it gets to Beasley. It's brown this time of year but loose wood isn't typically an issue.

·
God Amongst Men
1,993 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts